What oddballs do you all have?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

superman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am the king nerd of oddball fish keeping, I am always going into the near by fish stores and looking for new oddballs. Could you guys all post the oddballs that you have in your tanks now? And a list of possible additions in the future? This might help us all think of new fish that we'd like to keep! My list is in my signature.

I have a polypterus ornatipinis and a p.senegalus a ceylonese green snake head a leaf fish a needle fish and 3 peacock eels and in the mrs tank a dragon goby so as you can see i also prefer the odd balls although my first love is catfish.
When i get my new tank later this year i am seriously considering getting a arrowana but it will mean having to lose some of my smaller fish and of course the needle fish so they dont fight.I would also love to get a wolf fish but they are pure evil and need a large tank all to them selves so thats one that will have to wait until i win the lottery :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have P. ornatapinis and P. senegalus. I also have 2 tire-track eels. I guess that my khuli loaches and Botia striatas count here as well?

I wish that I could keep more Polyepterus species. I just love them. The deltezi and saddled bichir are my fav. besides the ornate. :sad: I will have to give these up for a while, since I will be in college. But, I plan on having some more after my graduation. I want to give them a stable living condition which is hard to come by in the 4 years of college :-( . My FIRST love was oddballs. But, as my name says, I also love cichlids of all shapes, sizes, and temperments. I have a pair of Paratilaptia polleni bleekeri, I guess those are kind-of oddballs since you don't see them that often. But, I plan on having just 2 planted aquariums. One will be the typical heavily planted aquarium that will be home to a harem of German Blue Rams. The other will be a brackish Mangrove, with Mudskippers, scats, and the like, with LIVE Mangroves, probably the red kind.

I do hold this dream of finding someone with some snakeheads still in the country and breeding them just to keep the strain alive. There are bans on importing them, but if they're already here, you can do whatever you please with them. But, as CFC said, this is only if I win the lottery.

There are so many oddballs that I would love to keep. I want an Arrowana/stingray tank, a FW plauderium (sp?), Several tanks come to mind. But I guess I'll just have to dream. Besides, dreaming is much MUCH cheaper. :hyper:

i have,

1 arrowana
1 ansorgi ctenopoma
1 bichir

i also have many mainstream fish, but only the weird looking ones!

it is a senegalus. i'm also looking into a getting an ornate.

I love my ornate bichir, he is SO beautiful...and yet he is SO deadly, he loves hunting!

At the mo I only have 2 Peacock Spinies and a Parrot Paca (Ossubtus Xinguense) but once the fishhouse is built this year it will be (Dwarf) Snakeheads (for breeding) and maybe Stingrays in a trop. pond (if room permits). Although not oddballs my two Hemisynodontis Membranaceous come highly recommended to anyone who finds them and has the room (12-14" TL when mature). Very unusual looking Cats and spend 90% of the time inverted. I havn't posted pics for a while, may do some next week I think. :)

The snakeheads are brilliant,i have a single channa orientalis but would love to breed them if i had the space,now ive just got to see if the land lord will let me build a large "shed" in the garden,oh and send the mrs on holiday for a few weeks while i build it :lol: :lol:

I have a bumblebee goby and a flower shrimp, both of which are awesome and funny to watch. Don't know if these really count but....

Not really up to the standards of the other oddballs on here, but I have a Blue Armoured Shrimp. About 2 1/2" when I got him/her but he has just moulted and seems to have grown about 25% or more. Hard to tell as he is a bit shy and nocturnal so only tends to come out at night.

I was really worried when I got home on Thursday and saw what looked like the shrimp lying on it's side under a plant half covered in sand - though he had died. Then I had a closer look and realised it was his carapace. I had a look around the back and could just see him in his usual hidey hole fanning away at the water.

Cheers, Eddie

dunno if they count as oddballs but i'll tell anyway.

I have a bumblebee goby
and new to the tank over the holiday weekend is my new favourite..........
8" shovelnose catfish (he's a beauty)
I also have a 7" synodontis eupterus, but i dunno if he would be classed as an oddball
:D :D :D :D

6 Indian Dwarf Puffers (tetraodon travancoricus)
4 Bumblebee Gobies

1 Banjo Catfish...at least I have a Banjo Catfish tail...thats all I've seen of him sticking out of the sand this week. ;)

I dont know if you can class catfish as oddballs but if you can i can add 2 banjo cats a sorubim lima shovelnose a farlowella (species unknown) and a red whiptail to my list(i have other cats as well but im sure synos hoplos corys plecos and doras dont count).Oh and i forgot i have a golden panchax as well.

Frazzle what species of shovelnose do you have?

Most reactions

Back