What Lighting For A 2ft Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tat2life

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey guys
what is the cheapest lighting i can get to keep some corals, i just want zoa's/polyps and anything else easy to keep. missus just had a baby so i cant go forking out a fortune on lighting. id need a 18" bulb so any ideas? thanks

I have a six foot tank and have 4 x 58 inch tubes, 3 white and 1 blue, most softies are fine under them :good: but to be honest I wish I started with T5's to save me upgradng, which I am doing as soon as I sell my motorbike, If you are not in a hurry I could sell you my T8 units if you like.

wont your t8's be way to big for a 2ft tank? i cant fit 4 lights under my hood lol maybe 2 at the most. would 2 white t8 tubes be ok? or maybe 2 t5 tubes. how much are t8 and t5 18" tubes on average?

the tubes would not be any good to you but the starters would be fine. If you only fitting two, than I would go for T5, I can not remember what I paid to be honest, sorry

what are starters? the 2 leads that connect to either end of the light? i have 1 of them spare already. might go for 2 T5 bulbs then. would they be ok to keep anemones and polyps

polyps (softies) yes most should be fine, as far as anemones are conerned I am not sure as i do not keep them. Yes starters are the units where you turn the lights on and off, the leads that connect o each end of the tubes.

chers bud, how much you want for a starter then including postage?
would they be ok for T5's?
oh and would you recomend 1 white light, 1 blue light or 2 whites?
cheers

Sorry mate, the starter is only for T8's, I will be asking about £15 per unit when I am ready to sell them which will not be for a month or two. If you get T5's 1 white and 1 blue would look nice, use both during the day a flick to to the blue in the evening, the blue light is really nice.

Hope this has helped :good:

VM

cheers buddy, i went to LFS today and they said id only need 1 T5 light to keep anemones etc etc. cost a tenner for a T5 tube to fit my tank.. surely that right? only a tenner to keep corals

You need more than 1 T5 tube to keep nems.

I have kept soft corals under power compact tubes in shallow tanks (under a 24w PC and two 18w power compacts) and soft corals did fine (though they grew a LOT fast once I put them under strong light).

Have a look for second had 24w T5 light units or starters, also you will want some good reflectors for them as well. Ideally I would say you want at least 2 marine white tubes. The actinic lighting is mainly just for looks but I would say ideally go for three tubes, 2 white, 1 blue and you will be fine for soft corals and a few LPS such as torch corals.

Something like two of the below with some good reflectors and a nice mix of tubes would work well (can probably get a LOT cheaper second hand).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hagen-GLO-T5-HO-Twin...:1|293:1|294:50

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
cheers mate, thats alot of money just for a starter though..i have 1 already which i think fits T5 or T8 tubes..im gonna check in a min. i think il get 2 T5's i wont be able to fit anymore under my hood

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back