What Kind Of Tetra Do I Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TorpeAlex

Reaction score
I was given this fish by my little brother upon leaving for college, he said he got it from Wal-Mart but he didn't remember what the person who helped him said it was. It looks like it might be a type of tetra, but it seems much more transparent than most photos of tetra that I've seen. I'm posting links to photos of it here (Don't judge me on the photo quality- she's an antsy one!):
tinyurl.com/3g7bpsp
tinyurl.com/42k26b6
tinyurl.com/3jgcwo9
tinyurl.com/3whpfe9
tinyurl.com/3dkw8qd
tinyurl.com/3erllxt
The fish has a blue tint to its top and a bit stronger towards its tail, but (apart from the orange of its brain and spinal cord) it seems otherwise colorless. Could you help me with identifying it? Apart from being curious, I want to ensure that I'm taking care of it correctly. Thank you!

bestbet.jpg

0830111602b.jpg

Two of your pictures :good:

I think it might be the White Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi). It's a colour variation of the Black Skirt (Widow) Tetra, so both fish require identical care. Plenty of caresheets online if it is what I think it is, so good luck!

Gavin

PS You might want to get a larger aquarium for the poor fellow and get him some friends. They are shoalers, so the more the merrier!

its quite transparent....looks like a golden pristella tetra or a gold neon tetra from the two pictures i saw (labourious work copyin and pastin urls on a tablet so i gave up at the second pic) but i think it might be one of those above. I'm not sure so don't take my word for it and i have no clue as to how to take care of it :/ .....or maybe its a glass headstander? Hope my info helps and let me know when you finally do get someone to identify it for you. Anyways goodluck with the taxonomy lol :)

ignore my last post...i can see the pictures clearly now and none of the ones i mentioned look like it sowwy :( :/

hello I have four of these. my local fish stockist said they are called white widow tetras hope this helps with your problem.

It is a "white widow", as mentioned. Gymnocorymbus ternetzi is the species, usually called "black widow" or "black skirt" tetras, yours is the xanthistic form. To keep him happy, get a few more of the same species, colour doest matter :).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back