What kind of snail is this?

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! I recently found this little snail in my 29g tank and moved him to this 20 gallon. Does anyone know what kind it is? Iā€™ve never had or researched snails but I want to keep it and Iā€™m just curious. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 103
It's either one of the physid species or one of the limnaeid species. The difference is their shells curl in different directions but I can't tell from the photos.
You can see the snail better than me, and there are diagrams in here to help you work out which one
There are also profiles of the two types of snail in the link.

Both Lymnaeids and Physids are called pond snails. It doesn't really matter which ones they are, they are pretty similar.

It's either one of the physid species or one of the limnaeid species. The difference is their shells curl in different directions but I can't tell from the photos.
You can see the snail better than me, and there are diagrams in here to help you work out which one
There are also profiles of the two types of snail in the link.
Thanks!

Thank you all for the help. After reading the link, i think itā€™s a physid. Are these eggs? I saw the snail there last night and now this is there. Itā€™s above the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
It's hard to tell from the photos. Pond/tadpole/pest snails of both types lay eggs in clear jelly less than an inch long which makes them hard to spot. And difficult to photograph.

The eggs are usually said under the water, and as Essjay said, they are little white dots in a clear jelly. In my experience the snails mostly lay them on rotting/dead leaves so that your best bet.

If you want to eliminate the possibility of having snails in your tank, you should try to locate the eggs (if any) and remove as many of them as possible. If not make sure you don't over feed and keep your plants trimmed so they don't have anything to feed on.

In future soak the plants in a salt bath for 30 min and wash it properly after to avoid the possibility of getting snails.

And yes the snail most definitely came from petco

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back