what kind of non-fish cleaners will clean glass on fish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Determining the gender of nerites isn't easy, so you'd be best getting just one of each.
When I've had multiples, eggs have appeared.
When I've had single, they haven't.
When I purchased my first nerite (by her self); i learned of the annoying egg er decoration. They were particularly annoying because they were not easy to remove and the honglosi wouldn't eat them like the sterbai eggs they love. She laid them weekly for some period (3months? 6months?) and then stopped and hasn't since then (I've had her for 30 months). Anyway as a solo nerite she had no problem laying many eggs.

You need two mystery snails to get a clutch of eggs, and those don't usually hatch-or if they do the babies are quickly eaten IME. Only times I have had clutches hatch was when I removed them from the tank and tried to hatch them, and that was with mixed results. My fav tool for cleaning glass (in and out) ia a MR Clean original eraser sponge (or the knockoff brands that have nothing added to them). It does a great job with diatoms, algae and hardwater stains, sometimes depending on the stain you have to apply more pressure. Also if the algae is stubborn you can use an old credit card, it works very well on scraping it off of glass (thanks @WhistlingBadger, at least if I am remebering correctly you suggested that back at the other forum a long long time ago...lol)
I wish this was true - the part about rarely hatch or quickly eaten. I have 100's of mystery snails because every now and then i miss an egg clutch at the back of the tank or otherwise hidden. I can state that other than my loach tank (clown/zebra/yoyo); no one eats the babies and they grow and grow and grow. Most annoying snail ever.

That’s exactly the same sponge I use! Love it! So far no algae that requires any kinda scraper. All comes off easily.

You need two mystery snails to get a clutch of eggs, and those don't usually hatch-or if they do the babies are quickly eaten IME. Only times I have had clutches hatch was when I removed them from the tank and tried to hatch them, and that was with mixed results. My fav tool for cleaning glass (in and out) ia a MR Clean original eraser sponge (or the knockoff brands that have nothing added to them). It does a great job with diatoms, algae and hard water stains, sometimes depending on the stain you have to apply more pressure. Also if the algae is stubborn you can use an old credit card, it works very well on scraping it off of glass (thanks @WhistlingBadger, at least if I am remembering correctly you suggested that back at the other forum a long long time ago...lol)
Yep, you have a long memory. I tend to use starbucks gift cards, but only for BBA. My students continually give me the things for Christmas gifts even though I hardly ever drink coffee. :)

I have definitely had mystery snails hatch and survive. If your water is friendly to them, you'll end up with a bunch. But you can probably sell them on ebay. Unlike fish fry, they're easy to catch. ha ha

I wish this was true - the part about rarely hatch or quickly eaten. I have 100's of mystery snails because every now and then i miss an egg clutch at the back of the tank or otherwise hidden. I can state that other than my loach tank (clown/zebra/yoyo); no one eats the babies and they grow and grow and grow. Most annoying snail ever.
Well I did have some khuli and Dojo loaches in the tank at the time so they may have been predated on...but the tank was planted to within an inch of its life so there should have been enough space for some to escape?
This was when said tank was set up many moons ago...
BTW I had learned that Dojos are not tropical and suffer from many issues in warmer waters. I currently have my Dojo/weather loaches in a cold water tank with some gold barbs (also cold water fish).

Well I did have some khuli and Dojo loaches in the tank at the time so they may have been predated on...but the tank was planted to within an inch of its life so there should have been enough space for some to escape?
This was when said tank was set up many moons ago...
BTW I had learned that Dojos are not tropical and suffer from many issues in warmer waters. I currently have my Dojo/weather loaches in a cold water tank with some gold barbs (also cold water fish).
kuhli won't touch them; don't know much about dojo since they require cold water...

Mr. Clean was showing signs
A8C0193F-F351-4E99-99B9-EA8265F0E1C6.jpeg
of old age, so I replaced him with a dozen young ones. Very inexpensive! Look & clean like the old man himself.

IF the Moor leaves such a mess- go with Ancistrus catfish. They will eat the algaes and eat the leftover food. Plus,the water can be coolish- low 70's and they are fine with that.
Snails are nice for making a tank look natural...but they really dont do a thing but eat and nibble plants. I had Mystery Snails eat the roots of my Bolbitis. They can nip youngest plant growth to where you aren't sure why its not growing- conditions or the snails caused.
If you do go with the little cat..try and make sure you get him food after he's cleaned up the place.:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back