What Kind Of Fish Is This?

dasmoon

Reaction score
I've never posted before but I needed some help with identifying the type of fish I have.  I picked ups some tropical fish from Petsmart a few months back and they gave me fish that they got and was not part of their normal inventory.  They lady asked me if I wanted him because they did not have a SKU number and that they have never gotten this type of fish before.  Well at least at their store.  I'm sure this fish is a typical freshwater fish.  They told me it looked like a carp of some kinds.  I went through many pics of carps and I could not find him, maybe she was wrong or maybe I just didn't look enough.  That's where you guys come in, let me know what kind of fish you think I may have.  I want to know if this fish is compatible with my other fish in the tank and how big is he going to grow?  I currently have mostly Cichlids in my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0186re.jpg
    IMG_0186re.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0205re.jpg
    IMG_0205re.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0206re.jpg
    IMG_0206re.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0211re.jpg
    IMG_0211re.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 133
Im inclined to think perch when I see this fish, I found a picture just like it in a picture search but unfortunately the picture did not have a name attached aside from being 'freshwater perch' knowing how savage some species of perch can be I think it will hold its own quite well with cichlids, however depending on its actual species it may get too big for your tank.
Looking a bit deeper is may even be a type of "Blue Gill".

For identifiying purposes it really helps for us to know where you are from, because certain countries are not going to have certain fish species allowed into the country.

It's one of the Sunfish. those black ocelli are on extensions to the gill covers.

It's a sunfish no doubt you can see the yellow "ear" on it ;)

What kind of sunfish? There are so many. I can see a resemblance to a Blue Gill but I don't think the body is deep enough. I still see Jewel Cichlid, but the spot at the back of the dorsal is making me have my doubts.

It's not a jewl... They have spots all over their bodies.. This is probably just a standard bluegill-sunfish
This is it im pretty sure
The specimen they have has less coloration around the mouth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 137
The small iridescent spots are not an indicator. Bluegills have them too. Age, lighting, mood, general health can affect how prominent they are. I'm not saying you are wrong on the ID just the reasoning is incorrect. The coloration of Jewels varies dramatically. If it weren't for the large spot at the back of the dorsal, it could very well be a Jewel.

If it is a Bluegill, it may not last long with more aggressive species of cichlids.

Well like you said if it is a native species it will be pretty aggressive. I am sticking with a native Lepomis species hands down..
Maybe just a mutt or oddball

Actually, I've found them to be on the less aggressive side as far as cichlids go. I see an African cichlid in the OP's tank (Zebra? very aggressive) which may end up tormenting the fish in question.

The only fish it can possibly be with those circular extensions to the gill covers is Lepomis. This bit we already know.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back