What Kind Of Algea Is This And How Do I Remove It?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishMaster4

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Its a bright green algea and it spreads over my substrate (fine gravel) and looks like some sort of filmy membrain but overnight it shrivils up and turns into a slimy brown clump that floats to the top. It then repeats this cycle every few days. sorry I couldent give any pics of what it looks like.

If oyu are reading this please respond any input is helpful.

Sounds like cyanobacteria, not algae but commonly called blue-green algae.

clean your gravel, wipe down your glass and everything then reduce feeding, it is there probably because there is excess nutrients. that is my guess and what i would do.

Excess nutritients don't cause algae. Excess organics do.

Aren't "organics" fish waste and decaying food and plants? Surely they contain nutrients! What part of the organics is the cause of algae isn't it just the ammonia produced that promotes certain types of algae ? 

Organics have nutritient elements inside, however the decomposition process is what attracts algae spores because they are more capable than the plants of extracting these elements.  Ammonia in NH3/NH4 from isn't an organic substance. But yes, ammonia is preferred by plants and algae as a nitrogen source. They utilise it better than any other nitrogen source and when plants or filters aren't capable of clearing that on time, algae will appear. The most common in relation to this is green water algae and diatoms.   Tanks high in organics are not healthy for the fish themselves.  There's a line one shouldn't cross, hence we do water changes,clean filters and siphon when applicable to reduce the levels of organics.

In the OP's scenario, if it is cyanobacteria, it could be related to lack of flow on the substrate, or also commonly associated with lack of nitrates if the tank is planted. A blackout for 3 days may do the job to get rid of it because cyanobacteria is light sensitive.

snazy said:
 A blackout for 3 days may do the job to get rid of it because cyanobacteria is light sensitive.

Can't comment on the Organics/Nutrients debate, I'm afraid, but this is the issue I would have thought might have been the deciding factor.

The OP says it shrivels and dies overnight. Organics and nutrients aside, it clearly thrives with a light source. Take that light away and it dies.You could try 48 Hrs with no light, if that doesn't work, try 72, so on and so on.

Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back