What Kind Of Algae Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

l_l_l

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a large green spot growning on my driftwood, right under the light, and it's kinda shiny metalic green.
I'm wondering what kind of algae it is, and if I put cherry shrimp in this aquarium they would eat it?

Hi hi! Here is a video, as promised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6e_RL5FZz4

I tried removing most of it today and it came of as one whole piece and was very slimy.

hmmm looks strange and only grows in the one spot?

do you dose with carbon?

Yeah, it grows right under the LED light I have set up. I don't dose carbon altho I heard I should do this to prevent it from happening.
My Nitrates are at 0.
The images you sent me are exactly what it looked like.
I used to dose with Excel but I stopped because it was killing my anacharis.
Do you have any idea on what I could use instead of Excel?
I don't really feel like going the CO2 way, I really like my low maintenance tanks.
I always change my water weekly so I really don't think it's due to poor water.. But then, I might be wrong.. Changed 30% of water today just to make sure.

l_l_l said:
Yeah, it grows right under the LED light I have set up. I don't dose carbon altho I heard I should do this to prevent it from happening.
My Nitrates are at 0.
The images you sent me are exactly what it looked like.
I used to dose with Excel but I stopped because it was killing my anacharis.
Do you have any idea on what I could use instead of Excel?
I don't really feel like going the CO2 way, I really like my low maintenance tanks.
I always change my water weekly so I really don't think it's due to poor water.. But then, I might be wrong.. Changed 30% of water today just to make sure.

i just use Easycarbo from easy life (liquid carbon) and same with ferts as im the same as you , i don't really want to go the full co2 system.
i'm pretty new to plants so learning myself at the minute.

you might want to try reducing light maybe see if this will help?

it's strange as i quite like the look of it
alien.gif

Well it does look nice but it started to look gross covering my anubias. And since it's no algae, my shrimp wont eat it.
Ouch.
Already reduced the light (today) hopefully it will resolve my issue.

Most reactions

Back