What is wrong with this guy?

DW11

New Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
PA
Swimming nose down for a couple of days. Changed the water. Other fish are fine. I am not an expert, sort of inherited this tank.
 

Attachments

  • fish.webp
    fish.webp
    323.4 KB · Views: 7
  • fish.webp
    fish.webp
    323.8 KB · Views: 6
If you could answer at least some of these questions it would be helpful. Hopefully some other guys from the forum may be able to give you a few idea's then. Thanks

What Others Need to Know to Help You

When posting a request for help can you please include the following info

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:


Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):
 
I had this happen to an adult discus. It was alone in a smaller tank (25 gal) and was the last of a pair where it's mate died. I enter the room where the tank was and apparently spooked it and it bolted hard into the side glass. I could actually hear the sound when it hit. It seemed OK and then, not long after, it went none down. It never recovered. It would try now and then to right itself but could never stay that way. However it could still swim.

Because it was ab to eat and had no other issues and there were mo other fish in the tank to pick on it, I let it live in the tank for about 9 month before it passed away.

As far as I know a common cause of balance issues in fish which had to do with a swim bladder issue.
A swim bladder is an internal gas-filled organ that helps most bony fish control their buoyancy and stay at different water depths without constantly swimming.

Since it could maneuver around the tanks and change levels, I concluded the fish mast have sustained brain damage when it jot the hit the glass at full acceleration.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top