What is this coming off my snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have these little snails the lfs gave me-they're the type that usually hitch a ride on plants and such. Anyway my kids love them so I got a few. Tonight we were checking them out and one had this thing on it. At first I thought it was some kind of fungus but upon closer inspection it looked more like a jelly thing with dots in it. Is it eggs? Shortly after we looked again and the jelly thing was gone so I don't know if the fish ate it, the filter sucked it up, or what. The snail was still in the same spot but now it has moved to an unknown location. Anyway here's the pic:

snail25wy.jpg

Well I found the jelly stuff in the rubber plant, and the snail on the plant with more jelly coming out of it last night. Then this morning it appears to be dead with the jelly stuff still on it. :/

Curiouser and curiouser. I saw the snail moving on some gravel with the jelly still on it, so I guess it was just resting (on it's back?? :blink: ) but then the big shrimp was going after it so then I thought maybe it was dead, but it was stuck to a rock so maybe not. I can't figure it out.

Talking to myself some more. :D The snail was being bothered by the shrimp and the betta so I took it out and put it in a jar of tank water with some gravel. I don't know if it's alive or dead so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Yep certainly looks like eggs - they will soon hatch and you will have lots of little snails.

Unless you have something to keep them in control you will soon have lots of the little critters... :/

www :)

Yep WWW is right, those are eggs, usually the fish will eat them as a yummy treat, but some will get away and you will have lots of babies :D

Jon

Thanks. From what I can see there is only one blob in the tank and it has maybe 10 dots in it. With the betta and shrimp in there, there's a good chance the eggs will be eaten or the baby snails when they come crawling out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back