What's new

What is the secret to growing moss?

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What is the secret to growing beautiful moss. No matter what I do I can never get it to look fantastic. However I am not giving up! I am going to start a moss tank. So any advice you can give? Type of moss, lighting, fertlizer, substrate ect.
Thank you!

Byron

Reaction score
Moss is a low light plant. Under bright lighting it can develop algae. Floating plants covering the surface will help. Being low light, the moss also requires less nutrition. If fish are present, that will often be sufficient, but of course other plants like the faster growing floating plants will more rapidly take up the nutrients, so liquid fertilization may be beneficial.

I have Java Moss in most of my tanks, and it does better in some than others.

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
What is the secret to growing beautiful moss. No matter what I do I can never get it to look fantastic. However I am not giving up! I am going to start a moss tank. So any advice you can give? Type of moss, lighting, fertlizer, substrate ect.
Thank you!
If it makes you feel better I am have no luck growing it either. I used it to make nest in the dark areas of the tank but what I have attached to things isn't growing and most is brown :(

OP
TheTenthDoctor

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay so based on my research I am going to provide the moss with a nutrient rich, low light tank with temperatures around 77 degrees F

Metalhead88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Moss grows great in one of my tanks but the other is alive and that's about it. The tank where it's thriving has a lower temperature around 75 and a different light.