What is the secret to growing moss?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
What is the secret to growing beautiful moss. No matter what I do I can never get it to look fantastic. However I am not giving up! I am going to start a moss tank. So any advice you can give? Type of moss, lighting, fertlizer, substrate ect.
Thank you!

Moss is a low light plant. Under bright lighting it can develop algae. Floating plants covering the surface will help. Being low light, the moss also requires less nutrition. If fish are present, that will often be sufficient, but of course other plants like the faster growing floating plants will more rapidly take up the nutrients, so liquid fertilization may be beneficial.

I have Java Moss in most of my tanks, and it does better in some than others.

What is the secret to growing beautiful moss. No matter what I do I can never get it to look fantastic. However I am not giving up! I am going to start a moss tank. So any advice you can give? Type of moss, lighting, fertlizer, substrate ect.
Thank you!
If it makes you feel better I am have no luck growing it either. I used it to make nest in the dark areas of the tank but what I have attached to things isn't growing and most is brown :(

Moss grows great in one of my tanks but the other is alive and that's about it. The tank where it's thriving has a lower temperature around 75 and a different light.

I've had Java moss coming out of my ears in the past. In a 50 gallon. No filter,no pump,just a 40 watt I sometimes put on..the rest was indirect light from the large window. No direct sunlight until it was near setting..weak. No Co2 of course. All the load I had in there was a self sustaining population of White Clouds. No other fish. Adult White Clouds and a few neon tetra like baby clouds.
Now,in my big tank this last year? I've killed Willow Moss...JAVA moss ( after my first try was a success..I crashed and burned on the 240).,,that at first did well..then HAIR ALGAE got in it and that was the end of the Java.
Right now I have a tiny bit of Christmas moss..and it does not like a flow of water over it like most plants do. It will tear apart. So,a quiet area and water with very little detritus or better none, suit it. Its hanging in there.
I want to try Java moss again. I got past the hair algae problem and I think it can do much better than the Christmas. Christmas is good though.

Most reactions

trending

Back