what is the largest freshwater fish????

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

flowerhornkeeper

Reaction score
hello can anyone tell me what the largest fresh water fish is i know that the whale shark is the largest fish altogether but what is the freshwater equivelent??

is it a silurus glanis(wels catfish) or ahuso huso(beluga sturgeon)??????????????

please help having an aruement with a workmate she says that its the cat as the sturgeon are not strickly freshwater

As far as I know there are saltwater sturgeons, in fact I didn't think you could get FW ones :blink:

Rusty_S said:
As far as I know there are saltwater sturgeons, in fact I didn't think you could get FW ones :blink:
the russian sturgeon are freshwater also there are many other freshwater sturgeon the diamondback/white/dwarf

another contender is the arapaima gigas,osteogloffiadae @ 4.5 mertres as my male workmate has just informed me

QUOTE (Rusty_S @ Jul 8 2004, 08:48 PM)

the russian sturgeon are freshwater also there are many other freshwater sturgeon the diamondback/white/dwarf

another contender is the arapaima gigas,osteogloffiadae @ 4.5 mertres as my male workmate has just informed me

Well that told me :p

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure saltwater sturgeon do exist, I just couldn't tell you any species names :*)

cometcattle said:
I'm getting a juvie for my 2.5g. I'm getting a bigger tank soon, I promise. :lol:
just keep it in a betta cup till you get a bigger tank for it :p

the beluga sturgeon isn't a strictly fresh water fish it can handle fresh brackish and salt just like say ... a molly.

HTH

Oh and the biggest ones get to be 9 m long

Most reactions

Back