Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GUPPY

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • pleco

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

B0B

Reaction score
Hey, can you fill out this poll, i want to see which is the hardiest fish, ill post a responce once the poll has finished

How do you define hardy?
Can live in the widest range of parameters?
Can survive poor water conditions?
Or something else?

hardy, so more under how much ammonia it can stad, the tank size, can it live in smaller tanks and survive, tempreture as well as ph. all these are key components to a tank and if ones off, everything can go downward, so its ust tank quality and if it ca survive or live comfortably, so just click the one you see fit, thanks

hardy, so more under how much ammonia it can stad, the tank size, can it live in smaller tanks and survive, tempreture as well as ph. all these are key components to a tank and if ones off, everything can go downward, so its ust tank quality and if it ca survive or live comfortably, so just click the one you see fit, thanks

Good fishkeepers find out what a fish needs then strive to provide it. If they don't have the conditions required for a species, they don't get that fish.
This question sounds like "which fish survives sub-standard conditions?", a better question would be "how should I improve the conditions so that fish can thrive?"
Additionally, you have too many variables, one species might not need a huge space but will still have specific pH and temperature requirements etc. Maybe post details of your set up so that we can recommend fish, or suggest changes to suit the fish you want. No fish should be exposed to ammonia.

No fish should be subjected to ammonia - or nitrite. It harms them even if it doesn't kill them immediately.
All fish should be kept in appropriately sized tanks. It is cruel to keep them in a tank that is too small. Different fish need different sized tanks - in your list for example, mollies need large tanks because they are big fish; goldfish need very large tanks as they grow much bigger than people think; zebra danios need a long tank as they are fast swimmers.
Some fish can live in a wide range of pH and temperature but it is always advisable to keep them in the middle of the range where they are found in the wild. You haven't mentioned hardness, but the same applies to that.

As you can see, there is not really any such thing as a hardy fish. Some species can withstand abuse better than others but that does not mean we should abuse them.

mate, its not abuse r anything like that, if a snail dies in a tank it can cause a micro bloom and kill fish instantly, so fish are going to experience some ammonia and there isnt much you can do about it. this poll is for a project at my school and i just wanted to see some oppinions, ive collected data. me personally hateto see a fish sick and i have a good setup as well as good knowledge over the nitrogen cycle as well as how fish breathe so i know the improtance over a good setup although its just for a project and im colletcing data so please fill out the poll over your experience, like if you have had a algae bloom or something. the point of the poll is also to see what the best begginner fish is, like if its a hardy fish and you have just started and something goes wrong it gives you time to fix it. i can tell you that goodfish keepers make mistakes, for example i didnt know that theres a gas that fresh paint has that can kill fish, which cause of this, it caused my healthy clownfish tank, with corals and all set up to be dead in a few hours of effect. thanks, from B0B

also sorry for the grammer, im 18 but i just cant be bothered to go back and fix it and im a fast but sloppy typer dont judge.

btw, goldfish are not that hardy, temp wise there good but there are alot of diseases that can effect them and they grow very big, id argue something more like a zebra danio, and when i think about hardy, i more think in the wild like if a goldfish and a zebra danio or a betta was in a puggle goldfish would be the first to go, just saying. also i AM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD ABUSE FISH, they are an amazing species and are just magical. thanks for the responces

I'd show a bit more respect to members that take the time and effort to react on your poll.To call someone mate and to react in capitals isn't seen as very respectful on this (and any).forum.

Members clearly have difficulties to answer cause the mentioned fish aren't comparable in any way. Several members even ask you what you mean with "hardiness" and many even don't react at all.

You clearly have your own assumptions and thoughts and react as stung by a bee when members are simply trying to get clear what you mean. Also some try to explain that putting one fish in a small tank / certain conditions is seen as abuse while other fish in the same tank isn't.

It is like asking : Which is hardier? : A polar bear, a rabbit, a butterfly, a mosquito, an elephant, a lion or a zebra?

Rephrase you poll, explain what you mean and be nice and respectful to other members. In that way you'll get your answers. No need to feel offended, cause you're not.

I'd show a bit more respect to members that take the time and effort to react on your poll.To call someone mate and to react in capitals isn't seen as very respectful on this (and any).forum.

Members clearly have difficulties to answer cause the mentioned fish aren't comparable in any way. Several members even ask you what you mean with "hardiness" and many even don't react at all.

You clearly have your own assumptions and thoughts and react as stung by a bee when members are simply trying to get clear what you mean. Also some try to explain that putting one fish in a small tank / certain conditions is seen as abuse while other fish in the same tank isn't.

It is like asking : Which is hardier? : A polar bear, a rabbit, a butterfly, a mosquito, an elephant, a lion or a zebra?

Rephrase you poll, explain what you mean and be nice and respectful to other members. In that way you'll get your answers. No need to feel offended, cause you're not.
look, im trying and capslock was only to enphasise to show that i dont respect people who abuse fish as there are people out there and that really sucks, also mate is not something disrespectful, im australian and we use it more times then you can count, also jumping to a conclusion that im disrespectful and rude is a bit mean itself, i try to be nice, but its extremely hard for me to communicate what im trying to say through text and im sorry if you have perceived it that way but even my friends said they saw the comments as nearly agressive, for example "a good fish keeper" an assumption and found it refferecing to me as not as good, also, if i say something in there, you might notice some stuff is repeated and stuff like that, thats because im just typing from what im thinking, like no filter as i didnt think i needed to, but clearly a poll is not for me as in person its so much easier to talk, im not going back on here again, its simply too much pressure to get things right. its people like you who pick up on the little things in my text and take offence to them which is what i was scared of. i try to be as nice as possible but everyone makes mistakes and i think that next time you jump to conclusions maybe look at it from a different angle, like caps for me personally is emphasis so instead of say hey i dont i am not saying you should abuse fish id say it in caps to say, hold up, i do not in ANY WAY support this, as its just terrible. see what i mean, alot of ppl use caps for fun, also i do respect the fact that you read all my messages to just gudge me lol, anyway, i really hope i didnt offend you as im not here to insult you but help ppl, and the poll was to find the best begginer fish for people starting out as it gives them room to make begginer mistakes so say if the water cloudy cause they have a microbloom but they have a fish like a zebra danio, and it survives, it will give them hope and experiece instead of losing a fish and getting discouraged them giving up which some people do. also to clarify, i didnt make it clear but name one person who hasnt said something that isnt clear, and i was not looking for a bunch of reply just a simple choice. so thanks for the reply i will be more careful, although id love it if you could not go around to just gudge half the people on there culture (such as "mate") and jump to conclusions over how they could be " nicer?" as frankly, its very rude, i mean this in the nicest way possible but a simple like hey, dont use caps as some people see it as ... or hey mate can be seen as ... not just be respectful and nice, so i would say "come on" as thats what we say in australia but i really just want to keep the piece and help. thanks -B0B

btw, goldfish are not that hardy, temp wise there good but there are alot of diseases that can effect them and they grow very big, id argue something more like a zebra danio, and when i think about hardy, i more think in the wild like if a goldfish and a zebra danio or a betta was in a puggle goldfish would be the first to go, just saying. also i AM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD ABUSE FISH, they are an amazing species and are just magical. thanks for the responces
NOT AGRESSIVE, just saying that some ppl abuse fish and put them in horrible enviroments and man does it hurt to look at, like a clownfish in a jar, like how sad is that. thanks for understanding

As said : please explain what you exactly mean or at least compare the right fish.
"Hardiest" can only be answered if the fish are held in the same conditions. The mentioned fishspecies aren't comparable cause of that.

So there is in fact no answer to your question / poll.That's the only reason people are struggling to give an answer even if they like to.

The members who reacted are trying to tell the same thing (and giving examples).

ok here, hard is simply what fish can survive in the worst conditions, so in the largest range of conditions, for example a betta can survive in a 3 gallon but a goldfish cant

Another way to look at this is what fish , of the fish listed , have you had live the longest . It has been noted that fish should not be subjected to poor conditions and I don't think anyone does that on purpose. Of all the fish listed Neon Tetras seem to fizzle out the fastest. All the others do well with reasonable care. And also, some fish live a really long time and some have very short lifespans. Somebody unfamiliar with that could equate that with hardiness or lack of. I once had three Blue Gourami's that were rivaling Methuselah for longevity but that was probably a fluke.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back