What is the best internal filter for a 10 gallon tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! :)

What is the best internal filter, for a 10 gallon betta tank? Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• E46DD278-ED2F-429C-B986-29A24B15A6E7.jpeg
    E46DD278-ED2F-429C-B986-29A24B15A6E7.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Introduction

Since it’s initial introducing by Takashi Amano, the appropriately named “Amano Shrimp” [Cardina multidentata] has been a welcome addition to the hobby. This shrimp has no issue doing the dirty work of eating algae and cleaning plants/décor. It’s love for consuming icky bits, as well as it’s well tempered nature, has made it a staple in many aquarists’ cleaning crew.

Appearance

When compared to some of the more brightly colored shrimp, the Amano Shrimp won’t win any beauty contests. It’s translucent body and subtle dark-brown spots and stripes make it one of the most unassuming aquarium shrimp in the hobby. The only feature that really sets Amano Shrimp apart, is its size. With a maximum length of approximately 2 inches (Or, 5.08 cm.), it dwarfs most of its cousins.

View attachment 92853

(Male left, Female right.)

Water Quality and Requirements

The Amano Shrimp is not very demanding when it comes to housing and water quality. Provide an Aquarium of at least 12 inches long, add 5 or more Amano Shrimp together, and include plenty of hiding places, where the shrimp can feel safe enough to molt in. Live plants will much be appreciated by the Amano Shrimp, especially if they have a textured surface that can accommodate biofilm, or algae growth. Java Moss [Vesicurlaria dubyana] is a favorite addition to any tank, And the shrimp love it!

Stable water parameters should suffice, and in most cases you can just use tap water, (Make sure to Dechlorinate before adding to your tank.) and use a Freshwater Test Kit, to make sure there are no traces of Copper, Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate present, and of these can be fatal to your Shrimp.

Recommended Water Parameters

Temperature:
68-86* F
ph: 6-8
KH: 1-10* (18-179 ppm)
GH: 6-15* (100-250 ppm)
TDS (Or, total dissolved solids): 80-450 ppm

Tank mates

One of the fun aspects of the Amano Shrimp, is that they are a great team player. It’s large mass allows it to be housed in a community tank, that would be unsuited for Dwarf Species of shrimp, and it’s passive temperature makes it perfect for even the most peaceful of aquariums. As usual, make sure that the Amano Shrimps’ tank mates aren’t going to be able to make a quick snack out of your shrimp. Avoid any tank mates that are large enough to fit Adult shrimp in its mouth.

Diet

As I mentioned above, the Amano Shrimp has no problem doing the dirty work, these guys eat anything from Bio-Film, to decaying plant matter. These guys will spend all day, foraging and can make a big difference in the amount of algae present in your tank.

Because of the fact that out aquariums are often to clean to sustain a shrimp colony (Just a term for a lot of shrimp being kept in the same tank.) long term, you will have to supply the shrimp with high-quality shrimp food, as a staple, especially the type that don’t break apart, and foul the water. If you want to add a little variety to your shrimps diet, then blanch some cucumbers or zucchini.

These are just some quick Facts about the care of Amano Shrimp, if you have any suggestions, or questions, please feel free to ask! :)

(I used to keep Amano Shrimp, and I know a lot about them, so please, ask questions!) ;)[/QUOTE

Why did you quote my message @Deanause ? :)

Not necessarily the best but easy to use and maintain is an air drive sponge filter. Internal air drive box filters are also great. You can put whatever media you think you need in them and they are cheap. Best is up to you. What fills your needs? What works with your fish? What looks good to you in your tank? What benefits your fish? IMHO sponges and boxes work great in tanks up to twenty gallons. Don't like the looks of them? Hide them with aquascaping. There are internal power filters but I think they are overkill. 'sides, I read someplace that power filters put an electric shock into your water. Maybe I don't really get what's said with that statement but the fact that lightning rod type gizmos that deal with that shock are sold should tell you something. Keep it simple and natural.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back