What Is The Best Cannister Filter For Biological Filtration?

Abyss

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Location
GB
Looking to add a second filter to my Malawi tank.

I want it to do bio filtration mainly as my TetraTec EX1200 can do the mech.

What is the best cannister filter for bio filtration? ie. which filter has the most media capacity (at a sensible cost)? I was originally looking at the FX5 but for the size of it,it seems to be small in terms of how much media it can hold (great flow rate though).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
 
For decent bio filtration it really matters more about what media you put in the filter rather than the filter itself.

On makes of filter, I personally recommend eheim if you have the money for one :good:

Andy
 
Looking to add a second filter to my Malawi tank.

I want it to do bio filtration mainly as my TetraTec EX1200 can do the mech.

What is the best cannister filter for bio filtration? ie. which filter has the most media capacity (at a sensible cost)? I was originally looking at the FX5 but for the size of it,it seems to be small in terms of how much media it can hold (great flow rate though).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't have an fx5, but I do know the Rena xp4 has huge capacity. I have a xp3 and its huge for capacity that I hold in media it filters a 55gal planted tank it has 3 trays ea tray has 2 compartments for a total of 6 areas for media. I find its easy to maintain and easy to maintain. Depends on the size of your tank I would guess, the xp 3 is overkill for my 55gal and had to make a custom spray bar for it to slow the flow down a bit and spread it over the entire fish tank. Maybe its a brand to look at.
 
I have read of people having problems with the XP4 filter leaking. I have several of the smaller Rena filters and really love them, but with the XP4 maybe they scaled up the size a bit too far.
As Andy said, any well built filter with a large volume for media can become an awesome biofilter when it has the right media in it.
 
I have read of people having problems with the XP4 filter leaking. I have several of the smaller Rena filters and really love them, but with the XP4 maybe they scaled up the size a bit too far.
As Andy said, any well built filter with a large volume for media can become an awesome biofilter when it has the right media in it.

Yep, so what I am basically looking for is what filter has the largest volume. Is there a comparison chart anywhere?

Had a look at the XP4 - seems that it has a capacity of 11L - which is huge. I too have heard things about leaking and such though.

Everyone recommends the Eheim. The classic 2217 seems good value with a capacity of 6L. Plenty of people love them, but still looking. They make two bigger models in the classic range but the prices go up dramatically for these two.

ps. will probably be filling it with Eheim Substrat Pro.
 
get an Ex1200, suck a good filter, i have two of them on my tank and no problems.
Heard of a couple of problems as with every filter, but you can call tetratec IN THE UK, and speak to someone really helpful. And they will sort you out, if its in the garantee its usually free as well.
i have only heard good things about Tetras customer service, cant say the same thing about eheim's unfortunately.
 
I already have a TetraTec EX1200 Dude (see first post).

The first one I had was from, and I quote "a dodgy batch". It leaked. Dripped from the head.

They sorted it out and sent me a brand new complete filter, letting me keep the leaking model (and all extras) so fair play.

But, I'd rather have something else now I think because of this.

But yeah, my second EX1200 is flawless and works perfect. Do you have the media capacity of the EX1200 at hand?

ps. I got my EX1200 last year and the price has gone up by over £20 since then at all retailers!!! I only paid £65 for mine.
 
i have an FX5 and 2 XP3s now. the last XP3 that i just got from my friend had the aparent leaking issue, but it was very clear to me that his gasket on the lid was abused. ive had my original one a lot longer then he had his, and no leaks on mine.. if you are careful with the lid and its seal then it will not leak.
as far as bio media- they are right in that, between(atleast)my 2 brands of filters that its all in what you put in it. FX5 does have quite a bit of foam but its meant for a much larger setup with 900us gph when the XP3s are for 425 im pretty sure.

Kyle
 
well, if you fill the canister up with bioballs then you should have very good biological filtration, i have an ehiem 2217 for my aquarium, and i love it.
 
I need to add something here. I am well aware that some filter media is better biofilter than others. Probably one of the best in terms of surfaces for the beneficial bacteria to colonize is plastic pot scrubbers. With all that said, a canister that is intended for a particular size tank usually has more than enough room in it for all of the biomedia that the tank will ever need. After that, the differences often become things like flow rate for mechanical filtering or diffuser type for different flow patterns. If your 1200 is designed for a tank the size that you have, you really should not need a bigger filter in the tank ever. Adding filter capacity will not make it possible to stock more fish, the main limit on stocking is how often and how large the water changes are. In an idealized tank that got a 100% water change daily, the stocking level could be kept at many times the levels that we ordinarily consider safe, but adding a few large filters would not change that stocking level or the amount of water change needed.
 
I'm afraid I have to disagree.

You make it sound like more filtration is a bad thing. More filtration is never a bad thing. You cannot over filter a tank. It's easy to fall into a consumer trap of 'this filter is rated at this and filters this size tank', but those guidlines are just that - 'guidlines'.

Adding filter capacity, and by that I mainly mean biological filtration will allow you to overstock your tank as long as other environmental conditions are not compromised. Of course I wouldn't keep stocking levels that are not considered 'safe' but as I'm sure you are aware, a Malawi keeper generally overstocks his/her tank. If you look at those same 'guidlines' that you want us to stick too, filter manufacturers always state they are for 'moderately stocked' tanks. If for example, a tank was on the upper end of the suggested tank size for a filter, and an overstocked Malawi setup was in place, a flaw is instantly discovered in your advice.

You suggest a 100% daily water change would be best. Yes, given ideal replacement water, but a 100% water change is rarely the best option in any practice considering how most keepers change water. I am fully aware that filters do not change the amount of water changes and never suggested so, but I simply cannot agree with some of your thinking I'm afraid.
 
I guess we will just have to disagree then Abyss. Filters can only achieve one thing in terms of biological filtration no matter how many you have. All they can do is move the ammonia straight through to nitrates. Anything more than that in the way of biomedia does nothing for the fish at all, except to stir the water more and maybe filter out a few more particulates. If your aim is to filter particulates, more and higher flow filters will of course help with that. I agree that over-filtration does no harm but it also does no good unless you have fish that require a brisk water movement to be comfortable.
 
i have to agree with oldman47, you cant take out more ammonia and nitrites then there is in the water, so having a sump the size of your aquarium dedicated to biological filtration wouldnt help more than the recommended size (bit of an exaggeration i know... but you get the point)
 
eheim 2227/2229
some of the best bio-canisters on the market due to the wet dry action of the second chamber. this maximizes the effectiveness of your bio-media.

stay away form any garbage labeled tetratec
 

Most reactions

Back
Top