My Rams laid eggs about a week ago, and knowing they would just get eaten in the community tank I thought I'd try and hatch them myself in my 10 Gallon tank that is currently set up as a Hospital/Quarantine tank and has nothing in there right now (fish wise). I was also treating my 55 Gallon with Prazi Pro at the time and thought the med may hurt the eggs, so that was another reason to take a stab in the dark and move them. I scooped up the eggs in a small cup and transferred them over to the other tank, being sure to keep them submerged at all times.
A couple days later, I thought I found some small fry in the tank, but not knowing what they look like I was a bit skeptical because these things were TINY. I googled pictures of Ram eggs and newly hatched Ram eggs to see what the wrigglers look like and that's not what I have at all in there. They are about the size of the tip of a sewing needle, appear to have some sort of tail, and perhaps 2 antennas and are completely white. It's VERY hard to make out because I don't have a magnifying glass and they are extremely small. They don't swim and just hop around. I re-read the Hitchhikers in Aquariums to see if anything looked similiar, but unfortunately without having something in the house for me to get a better look at them, I can't say for sure that it matches anything on there. I think I also found a small worm in there as well.
It's about 1/2" long and the thickness of a piece of string.
I'm wondering since I transferred some of the sand into this tank when I picked up the eggs, are these the parasites that were in my 55 Gallon? I've taken a hard look at the sand in the 55 (luckily it's black, so you'd think it would be easy to spot some little white things hopping around) and I don't see any of these things in there.
I'd love to try and get a picture, but my digital camera has crappy zoom and I don't think they would turn out anyway. I guess I have 3 questions:
1. Based on the description, do these seem to be parasites? I'm leaning towards yes, especially since finding the small worm!
2. What's the best way to clear out the tank? Should I treat it with the left over Prazi Pro I have? Since I don't have anything in there, including substrate, except for the small amount of transferred sand, I could easily completely empty the tank. Even if I did that though, I'd be worried that I'd have some of these little buggers in my filter media.
3. Since I treated my 55 Gallon already and the fish seem fine now, am I pretty safe that these things aren't also in there?
What would you guys do?
A couple days later, I thought I found some small fry in the tank, but not knowing what they look like I was a bit skeptical because these things were TINY. I googled pictures of Ram eggs and newly hatched Ram eggs to see what the wrigglers look like and that's not what I have at all in there. They are about the size of the tip of a sewing needle, appear to have some sort of tail, and perhaps 2 antennas and are completely white. It's VERY hard to make out because I don't have a magnifying glass and they are extremely small. They don't swim and just hop around. I re-read the Hitchhikers in Aquariums to see if anything looked similiar, but unfortunately without having something in the house for me to get a better look at them, I can't say for sure that it matches anything on there. I think I also found a small worm in there as well.
It's about 1/2" long and the thickness of a piece of string.
I'm wondering since I transferred some of the sand into this tank when I picked up the eggs, are these the parasites that were in my 55 Gallon? I've taken a hard look at the sand in the 55 (luckily it's black, so you'd think it would be easy to spot some little white things hopping around) and I don't see any of these things in there.
I'd love to try and get a picture, but my digital camera has crappy zoom and I don't think they would turn out anyway. I guess I have 3 questions:
1. Based on the description, do these seem to be parasites? I'm leaning towards yes, especially since finding the small worm!
2. What's the best way to clear out the tank? Should I treat it with the left over Prazi Pro I have? Since I don't have anything in there, including substrate, except for the small amount of transferred sand, I could easily completely empty the tank. Even if I did that though, I'd be worried that I'd have some of these little buggers in my filter media.
3. Since I treated my 55 Gallon already and the fish seem fine now, am I pretty safe that these things aren't also in there?
What would you guys do?







