What Goes With Gouramis?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Here's the problem! I went to Petco today and asked the sales clerk what kind of fish go with Gouramis. She answered back that Gouramis can only go with other Gouramis. Are there any other fish that can go with Gouramis?, I asked. She said that Gouramis are aggressive and would chase smaller fish. Is the sales clerk wrong? I posted that question before and many people stated that Gouramis go good with livebearers and tetras. Please help me figure this out! :/

I like chips and mushy peas with my gourami's. (JOKE).
The only gourami you MIGHT have a problem with would be a pearl or a moonlight as the males can be pretty intolerant of other fish, what size tank do you have?

i have a male and female pearl. i also have neons,corys , beacon and phantom tetras , mollies and dwarf honey gouramis in the tank . amongst others they all get very well and i have no problem with aggressive gouramis. there will always be an exception but the pearls are one of the more placid bigger gouramis. i dont think you will have a problem.... pebbles :)

Hi Sasha :)

Looks like you ran into another one of the infamous Petco nincompoops! :S

I really do hate to have to keep saying things like that, but these big companies just hire people and put them to work with no training on the fish at all. Most of these sales people are well intentioned, but do not have a clue about what they are dealing with.

I'm sure that the woman had good intentions, but that cannot replace specific knowledge and experience, both of which she obviously lacks. :/

;) Thanks alot! Now I know other people don't have a problem with them. I think the sales clerk didn't have any knowledge with Gouramis, so she just assumed that they had to live with other Gouramis. Are Pearl Gouramis more colroful in the males or females? Any one else have a tank with Gouramis kept with other kinds of fish?

As you can tell by my sig. I have Gourami's with all different types of fish. My mom has Gourami's in a 55 gal with tetra's, iredecent shark, scissortails, and rams. I have never had any problems with Gourami's being overly aggressive with any of my fish. Maybe it's because I go for the smaller ones thinking they are the youngest..maybe Im wrong on that one. Anyway, go for it! HTH

Tiff :smb:

Sasha,
Stay away from that Petco on South Willow Street if thats the one you went to. Wait until we go to the fish store I was telling you about. They are much more skilled in fishkeeping than any of the bozo's that work there!!

Deb

:D I'm so happy that Gouramis can go with other fish! I'm only going to buy the gravel at Petco, but not the filter. It's too expensive! I find it alot cheaper on the internet. I can't wait until I start getting my new tank cycled and start getting the decorations. Thank you! ;)

In my own experience (might be different with you) I found that male dwarf gourami of different species tend to fight but nothing serious. Like neon blue dwarfs and dwarfs are more timed and if you put a male powder blue with them he would pick on the dwarfs.... I think the most aggressive dwarf would have to be the powder blue or the flame.

Most reactions

Back