What's new

What fish is this?

Hokieokieamy

Reaction score
So something crazy happened. I bought a plant attached to a piece of wood and when I got home, there was a little algae eater in the piece of wood. That means he was in that piece of wood for about 15 mins on my way home with no air! How?!

what is he? I’m thinking either Bristlenose Pleco or bushymouth catfish but they look so similar. He’s doing A great job with the algae In my tank.

Attachments

PheonixKingZ

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
So something crazy happened. I bought a plant attached to a piece of wood and when I got home, there was a little algae eater in the piece of wood. That means he was in that piece of wood for about 15 mins on my way home with no air! How?!

what is he? I’m thinking either Bristlenose Pleco or bushymouth catfish but they look so similar. He’s doing A great job with the algae In my tank.
How fortunate! Plecos can survive for over 30 minutes out of water, as long as their gills are wet. That is very surprising that he stayed on that long, mine would have swam away. Does he seem to be healthy?

Will you please post another picture, one of his nose area?

OP
Hokieokieamy

Hokieokieamy

Reaction score
How fortunate! Plecos can survive for over 30 minutes out of water, as long as their gills are wet. That is very surprising that he stayed on that long, mine would have swam away. Does he seem to be healthy?

Will you please post another picture, one of his nose area?
He acted weird and very shy the first day but then has opened up and is around the tank a lot more. It’s hard to get a good picture but he has two little spikes or flared nostrils next to his eyes. I saw somewhere online that they don’t get the bristlenoses until they are larger.

Attachments

Colin_T

Reaction score
I was thinking Peckoltia species of some sort but the Panaquolas looks about right. Good call Phoenix :)