What Fish Can Hybridize With Guppies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

keithp

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What are all the possible Fish crosses, and if I looked online for pictures, what are the names of the crosses?

Endler's will (in fact all Endler's in the trade are hybrids now, according to the experts) and they'll be fertile. There's some talk of guppy/molly hybrids turning up, but I don't think that's ever been proven; they're reputedly infertile.

What about platies and swordtails hybrid with guppies? As a kid I had a single female guppy left with a bunch of swordtails and she got pregnant and had a few young with orange bodies and some blue,black, and orange on the tail (for males) no guppy in the store looked like this and there was no male guppy in my tank for at least 2 months.

Platies and swordtails can hydridise with each other, but not with guppies. Don't forget that livebearers can store sperm for months, so your female guppy would have been carrying some when you got her; it was just a coincidence about the colouring.

Mollies are often said to need brackish water, but they do fine in fresh. They do prefer harder water rather than soft.

Endler's guppies (Poecilia wingei) are a regional variation of the normal guppy (Poecilia reticulata).

oooopps we have 2 endlers, Male and female, we just bought 2 guppies yesterday and the male endler wont leave one of the guppies alone he follows it all over the tank lol.

I wish I had an aquarium again would be exciting to create my own hybrid fish and have them as pets.

Hybirdising is generally frowned upon...

For instance, all Endler's in the trade are now Endler/guppy hybrids; the true Endler's live in only a few locations in the wild. Luckily, there are some hobbyists who still have pure Endler's, becuase if the wild popultation was wiped out, by drought or pollution say, without them we would have lost the Endler altogether, which would be a tragedy.

There are so many thousands of fish species you could keep; surely there's at least one or two that would suit you, without creating hybrids?

Purely because of my rubbish stocking, my guppy or endlers have hybridized with my mollies.
Even though hybridizing is frowned upon, I really am interested to see what they'll grow up to look like!

Am I the only one who thinks its funny that people who dislike hybrids visit this part of the forum so much xD
I have heard of mosquito fish hybridizing with guppies and mollies. It is a fact that mollies and guppies can hybridize but there are rarely females of this hybrid and males are sterile.

Purely because of my rubbish stocking, my guppy or endlers have hybridized with my mollies.
Even though hybridizing is frowned upon, I really am interested to see what they'll grow up to look like!
show us some photos of endler cross mollies

Am I the only one who thinks its funny that people who dislike hybrids visit this part of the forum so much xD
I have heard of mosquito fish hybridizing with guppies and mollies. It is a fact that mollies and guppies can hybridize but there are rarely females of this hybrid and males are sterile.
can you give the proper name of the fish/ mosquito fish is a common name for fish that eat mosquito larvae

can you give the proper name of the fish/ mosquito fish is a common name for fish that eat mosquito larvae

I would think FishFreak95 is referring to Gambusia affinis. I have not heard of them hybridizing with other species, though.

The fry in my tank are hypridized platy/swordtail unintentionally. When I bought my tank and set it up, I was under the impression (thank you LFS) that all of the fish that I had were all male. I was new to fish at the time and could not tell the difference. But now that I have them, and I have had them for so long, I do not want to separate as all of them get along so well. I have a very happy fish community :) I give away all of my babies (save for one or two special ones) mainly to prevent inbreeding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back