What do you Think about adding salt?

njnauticalnut

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I used to add salt to my tank whenever I did water changes, but I have stopped as I found out that it is not good for plecos, corys, and loaches.

What are your opinions on adding salt?
Do you add it to your tank?
Do you only add it only to tanks without the above mentioned fish?
Do most fish other than the ones above need aquarium salt regularly?
If so, how do you handle it when you have different species?

Looking forward to your replies.

i keep 2 clown loaches and i have added aquarium salt once in my tank following the deaths of one angel and one swordtail. It didnt really have a bad effect on my loaches compare to what they are saying about the sensitivity of scaleless fish. Also, I won't put it when it is not needed. i will only put it when i have to, like when I think most of the fishes have diseases.

I don't think u should as tropical fish come from a fresh water enviroment and thus anything that isn't i their natural enviroment should not be used unless its things like de-chloninators and treatments, not medication.

I agree with kent, scaleless fish can't tolerate any levels of salt. So thats tetra's too.

as mentioned dont use it on scaleless fish. i only ever use it when my fish look sick, salt helps cure alot of fish diseases

Fluctuations in salinity are always "bad" for fish. The only reason it helps cure diseases like ich is because the fluctuations are too much for bacteria, and literally kills the disease/ parasite off the fish. Of course, when the threat of disease is upon a fish, a little stress from fluctuating salinity is usually worth the eradication of the disease.

Tetras have very fine small scales but are not scaleless (as it was recently pointed out to me by lateral line).

I only use salt for brackish aquariums, IMO there is no need to ever add salt to a freshwater aquarium, not even for medicibnal purposes.

:flex: ♂ Looks like I'm going to be in the minority here, but some expert aquarists much smarter than me have said a little salt is healthy for freshwater, so I always add a little bit at partial water changes. I have a very healthy tank which does include quite a few different tetras, as well as scaleless cory cats.

Never used salt and I don't think it is needed for any species except for brackish setup.

yhbae said:
Never used salt and I don't think it is needed for any species except for brackish setup.
those are 2 different types of salt tho

i have also read alot of fish can benefit from a little aquarium salt, but then there are those that cant tolerate it. so you just have to know your fish

salt is excellent for treating ich, fungus, and many other fish diseases

Most reactions

Back