What Do You Do With Unwanted Fish?

Rox

Reaction score
I have a female guppy who gives birth to 10-20 fish at least once a month (I've had her for about 3 months). The same thing happens every month. She gives birth, about 1/2 of them get eaten, and I end up with 6-7 living frys. My tank is only 10 GL and she just gave birth again, there are about 20 fry in there now. Once again probably half of them will be eaten and I'll have maybe 10 fry by the end of the day.

She has to have gotten pregnant at the fish store because the only other fish in the tank is a female platy. I don't know what to do with this fish that keeps giving birth constantly. Advice please? :no:

Some LFS "Mom and Pop" shops will take your fish for store credit or money. You should perhaps raise them in a separate small tank and then when they are big enough, sell them. Also, get in touch with friends/relatives and see if they'd like to have a guppy. Worst case scenario, you give them to a fish store that doesn't give you store credit. But the nice part is they'll find a good home for someone else to enjoy :)

Some LFS "Mom and Pop" shops will take your fish for store credit or money. You should perhaps raise them in a separate small tank and then when they are big enough, sell them. Also, get in touch with friends/relatives and see if they'd like to have a guppy. Worst case scenario, you give them to a fish store that doesn't give you store credit. But the nice part is they'll find a good home for someone else to enjoy :)

yeah i almost have a standing order at my LFS for 100 apples snails a month far cheaper and better condition then trade and they jusy give me crdit, which i use on bloodworm,pellets,sponges etc :good:

yeah i almost have a standing order at my LFS for 100 apples snails a month far cheaper and better condition then trade and they jusy give me crdit, which i use on bloodworm,pellets,sponges etc :good:

Fancy selling some to me?

Either send to shop, get some friends or family into fish keeping ;) or grow them and sell them, ebay is easy enough pick up only jobby

Fancy selling some to me?

If you were closer you could have some, postage to my standards is a chew on plus it costs about a fiver to get to the post office lol. I have broken that tank down now and have about 40 left which im growing out before a end snail breeding

this happened to me too so

1 only keep males
2 get some tigar barbs or other fry eating types, angels are excellent but usually get too big for most tanks
3 sell fry and feeder food to friends and other fish keeping bods
4 open a guppiesareus online shop and sell them but be prepared to post
5 post a card in local shops offering free fish
6 sell all the guppies and get some easier fish that arnt livebearers

just a few suggestions

My neighbour has a huuugee tank and if i get naughty fish who wont get on either him or his brothers mum in law get them depending on the fish,

well.............

Attachments

• fishdinner.JPG
    fishdinner.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 197
The good news is that she ought to stop giving birth soon. They only go so many rounds before needing to be fertilized again.
rolleyes.gif

Never had to get rid of offspring myself, but my LFS were happy to take in several neon tetras once

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back