What Do We Have Here?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
hi all! im a total novice to inverts and have no idea what i have bought :look:
they look pretty cool, i thought to myself as they were sat there in the lfs holding some fans out in the water.
i bought 2 for £4.50 each but have no idea what they are! lol
i kno they are shrimp of some sort and ive checked on the species list on here and found nothing that looks like them.
here are some photos;
this one has 2 white spots on its back,
3834409440a9044374526l.jpg

this one is hiding, no white spots and i had to go round the side of the tank to get the photo,
3834409440a9044374545l.jpg

any ideas?

nope, this was a one off. i thought, them being shrimp can't hurt... right?
they're not gonna go round eating my fish, right?
they've been in for about a week.

I was thinking also for the shrimps well being. It might not be suited to your tank. But hey we have all been there when you see something and just buy it.

I was thinking also for the shrimps well being. It might not be suited to your tank. But hey we have all been there when you see something and just buy it.

lol it happens. but i don't have any predator fish in my tank either. i have corys, neons, white clouds, otos, a hillstream loach and 2 plecos so i didn't think any of them would eat the shrimp.

woo! spot on Shrimper! thanks alot. now i can read about them :rolleyes: lol

yeah what you have is a bamboo / aka rock shrimp. they can be harmless however can and do put up a fight, i have just one rock shrimp now and he has been responsible for the death of 4 fish, ive seen him on many occasions "defend" himself when other fish have swam past and either given him a nudge or thought he may be a snack and tried to have a nibble.

Each time ive seen him wrap his body around the fish (inc a fully matured male krib) and start to puncture the fish's body while holding ont to the fish so it cant get away.

You may need to keep an eye on them to make sure all is ok. the other rock shrimp i had didnt seem to have too much of a problem with co inhabitants.

thanks people, they're definatly bamboo shrimps and ive had no problems so far what so ever! :fun:
however, one has turned to a bright glowing red :unsure: is this normal??

the other has stayed a browny colour and the one which is now glowing red has 2 white spots on its back. i dont know what this means but it may have some relevance

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back