What Do U Say ?

CTlovesKS

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dorset
I went to LFS today and ask how many fish could i roughly put in my tank

Leghth 2.5ft
Height 16"
Depth 1ft

I got old if I was to get shot of my rusty pleco and just keep my clown pleco (4") then i should be able to have 70 ish 1-2 " fish in there (Without counting him) Is this true... it will be well planted with places to hide. and i do water changes (50%) evey week. my fliter is a exturnal fluval 105, and its been brilliant to be through my goldfish and tropical etc...
 
a 25 gallon tank could just handle( if you broke the limit ) 50" of fish ( 2 inches per gallon ) but only if overfiltered. i would only put about 30" of fish in a tank that size.
 
okay thanks for the help... i was smelling some fishy about wha they said and just wanted to make sure...
 
what i mean is if you have a 25 gal tank with 2 30gal filters running on it you could have 2" per allon but if you only have the one 30gal filter then i would only put 1" per gallon or just over.
 
what i mean is if you have a 25 gal tank with 2 30gal filters running on it you could have 2" per allon but if you only have the one 30gal filter then i would only put 1" per gallon or just over.

You could possibly run up to the 2 inches per gallon rule but that really does depend on what fish you choose - if all those fish swim in the same area's its going to get overcrowded.

I wouldn't think about your tank in terms of how many fish you want in there. Instead think about having a decent mix of top dwellers, bottom dwellers and the odd centrepiece fish perhaps. Alot of fish have minimum or maximum numbers (for instance most shoaling fish want to be kept in minimum groups of 6, whilst most dwarf cichlids should be kept singly or in a pair - and no more than that. (Loose rule for illustrative purposes before someone picks an argument about harems :) )

What sort of fish have you seen that you like? Post up a few you're keen on and someone will suggest a stocking list around that, just be aware that sometimes you'll have to sacrifice your favourite for your second favourite as they just won't get on.
 
I've never really understood why people would want so many fish in one aquarium (this is just my opinion). I've always seen community aquariums as rather an odd concept. It's almost like having a living encyclopedia of fish in a glass box, or like those pokemon, where you have to collect them all. I've always prefered the idea of finding a fish that really takes my fancy and concentrating on making a habitat for it/them, complimenting the picture with suitable background fish. I'm not condemming the community aquarium, they're very popular and I've seen some stunning examples, but I do think that there is a difference between a truely stunning community setup and just putting a mishmash of fish together as they take your fancy.

Just my personal opinion/ramble

Jimi
 
Personally I think theres an art to bringing together several different types of fish that complement each other. I've done the biotope thing and thats fine, but I will always have a community tank.
 
I have a 4" humbug and clonw which wont be getting rid of so you have to take that into accont, and 7 plattys

These are the following fish that i like...

Rummynose tetras,
Dwarf Gouramis Or honey
and some guppys,
And some different type tetras

Trying to keep it small and simple...
 
you could have the rummynoses, maybe the dwarf gourami but i have read that nowdays they have very short life span, im guessing oyu oculd have the guppies and some other sort of tetras. black phantoms are nice or glowlights.
 
So how many of each would i be alowed if Im getting 2 dwarf goruamis and my 1 pleco 1 catfish...
How many and what else could i have in my tank ?
 
a 25 gallon tank could just handle( if you broke the limit ) 50" of fish ( 2 inches per gallon ) but only if overfiltered. i would only put about 30" of fish in a tank that size.


with extremely good filtration

hi what fish you told you this?
hah
wasnt an angel fish, they would tell the truth
:rofl: :rofl: :whistle: so sorry prob thought iam a looney, what i ment was what FISH shop told you this? was it in Bournemouth?
Nelly wait's for the comment's to role in
 

Most reactions

Back
Top