What Do U Guys Think Of My 10 Gallon Tank?

mhfan06

New Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey guys!, I'm new to this forum.

Anyways, here is my 10 gallon plant tank, what do u think of it?

substrate bottom layer: vermiculite+small pink pebbles
sub mid layer: kitty litter + small pink pebbles
sub top layer: natural looking pebbles

plants/decor : dwarf hair grass, Glossostigmas, java moss, a piece of drift wood

Inverts. 4 ghost shrimp, 4+ cone snails

Fish. 1 male dwarf gourami, 2 female dwarf gouramis, 3 leopard danios (male and females), 3 ottocinclus (sex unknow)

Algae: hair algae and maybe some spot algae

other info: light and co2 injected

so? what do u guys think? Id love some feedback

I know its a 10 gallon ^^ but i think my plants and my finger deep substrate can take the bio lode

Let me know what you think!
 
Sorry, I can't see any pictures but it sounds like it should be nice!

If your having problems uploading them i can recommend Photobucket, its where I host all my photos for the forum.
 
Kitty litter eh, new one on me!
 
yeah im trying to find the cable to hook up my phone to the computer, ill post some pics later if i can manage to find the usb cable. I know it is a lil overstocked but i do frequent water changes and i have really really deep gravel
 
yeah im trying to find the cable to hook up my phone to the computer, ill post some pics later if i can manage to find the usb cable. I know it is a lil overstocked but i do frequent water changes and i have really really deep gravel

really really deep gravel will eat into your tank volume, might be worth considering removing some to give the fish more room... how deep is deep - more than 2"?
 
Having deep gravel won't help your fish if you are over-stocked. If anything it will make it worse because there is less swimming space.

I would remove the 'kitty litter'. I've never heard of putting that in a tank before and it doesn't sound good.
 
really? i thought more substrate will make a better bio filter? for stuff for bacteria to grow on? I read that kitty litter (the all natural kind w/ no additives) acts just like clay/ Laterite. I'm not sure how to go about taking the layers out now T_T.....thinking about it is is a lil too high..but if i did id have to tare the whole tank down. I live in an apartment at college...and don't have an extra tank...not sure how id go about a tank tare down though. plug up my sink and have my fish live there for a while? lol. Anyways, has anyone used a lot of gravel/ multi-layered substrate? has it worked for you? I had a friend w/ a marine tank. He added way more live rock than recommended but his bio filtration was amazing and his fish are doing great. I figured more substrate would work too. Anyone try this?
 
Kittylitter? Doesn't that stuff have a deodoriser impregnated in it? Can't be good for fish can it? :unsure:
 
Kittylitter? Doesn't that stuff have a deodoriser impregnated in it? Can't be good for fish can it? :unsure:

actually i picked up this all natural stuff. Under ingredients all it says is "ground clay". I made sure it was all natural. I read that its similar to laterite w/ good ion exchange. ( i got it so my plants can thrive and so that i don't have to dose the water column with fertilizers) If any of you are looking to start a plant tank, i think you should look into it. (make sure its all natural) Well if you have a lot of money you should just go w/ fluorite but thats like 20+ dollars for one bag. as for the kitty litter and vermiculite they were wayyyy cheaper ( kitty litter was around 2 dollars and the verm was around 4-5 in the gardening department of home depot.)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top