What Do Plants Like More, Small Gravel Or Sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Why does everyone use sand, besides looks and price, isn't gravel supposed to be better for planted tanks and easier to maintain?

I like the look of sand, and for me it was far cheaper. I got 100 pounds of it for about $25. That much gravel would have cost me well over $50. It's harder to plant in initially, but I prefer it.

I think the biggest reason people use it is for looks

so it doesn't really limit plant growth, its just more difficult to plant in initially?

- then Jen, how do you plant initially? weights?

I think there can be a slight difference in plant growth, have heard report of plants like glosso and HC not doing as well, but others have grown them in sand with no problems.

As long as you add ferts to the sand, it is fantastic for plant growth!

I also actually think it is easier to plant in, holds the roots better that gravel!

I have been re-organising my sand based tank tonight and some of my plants have roots that are 24" long!

CW

I just stick them in as far as I can, and if they keep popping out, I weigh down a leaf with a little stone or something.

ok, thanks guys. I think I'll be going sand and laterite+flourish tabs if the fine gravel is to expensive.

- does silica sand discolor or ever turn a yellow color?

ok, thanks guys. I think I'll be going sand and laterite+flourish tabs if the fine gravel is to expensive.

- does silica sand discolor or ever turn a yellow color?

Sorry to give you the bad news.....All sands and gravel will discolour over time.

I'm skeptical about this. Silica sand is silicate, essentially glass. It discolours (or otherwise reacts with water) at exactly the same speed as does the glass walls of your aquarium. In other words, not within a human lifetime.

Cheers,

Neale

Sorry to give you the bad news.....All sands and gravel will discolour over time.

Really? How come?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back