What disease is this!?!?! And what should I do!?!?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well, I was waiting on @Deanasue 's diagnosis- why both the nitrofurazone and kanaymcin are needed. Active ingredients are used because of "x" reasons, of course; so, I will wait for @Deanasue to guide us on these active ingredients/reasons.

It’s well known in hobbyist aquatics that the 2 meds work better together. In fact, American Aquarium Products already sells it pre measured and mixed together. It’s called Spectogram and is something that every aquatic hobbyist should keep I. Their aquatic medicine bag.

Well, I was waiting on @Deanasue 's diagnosis- why both the nitrofurazone and kanaymcin are needed. Active ingredients are used because of "x" reasons, of course; so, I will wait for @Deanasue to guide us on these active ingredients/reasons.
. I do apologize, @Lilyann as I can sense your impatience in my not responding immediately. I have a life outside the home and had to leave for a short period Again, my sincerest apologies .

I entirely agree- for the problem of columnaris. Is this what you are gathering this is?
It is possible: the gills, the mouth rot. So, if that is what you are saying I am on board.
I am not challenging you, I am truely asking your thinking. If that is something that is not allowed here or discouraged than Ill refrain from doing so. But, I think people learn when they explain there thinking and, when recommend drugs communicate why the active ingredients are chosen.

No, I do not believe it is columnaris. However, Kanaplex and Furan-2 work best together when tests are not done on the fish to determine proper diagnosis. Attempting to diagnose any other way is dangerous and unfair to the fish and the member.

. I do apologize, @Lilyann as I can sense your impatience in my not responding immediately. I have a life outside the home and had to leave for a short period Again, my sincerest apologies .
Ha ha! I hope you do. No need for apologies- its all good.

and is something that every aquatic hobbyist should keep I. Their aquatic medicine bag.
I respectfully disagree that any aquatic hobbyist should even have an aquatic medicine bag.
I don't think its coincidence or good luck that those who regularly dose fresh clean water, and keep appropriate species in an appropriate environment, have very little experience with dealing with illness.

I respectfully disagree that any aquatic hobbyist should even have an aquatic medicine bag.
I don't think its coincidence or good luck that those who regularly dose fresh clean water, and keep appropriate species in an appropriate environment, have very little experience with dealing with illness.
Well, you can certainly disagree. I don’t mind at all. However, I do keep appropriate species in appropriate environments and have still had to deal with issues before. For instance, when my Popeye goldfish scraped his eye I tried just clean water and salt but it went into an infection. I had to treat with antibiotic ca to cure the infection. We all have our opinions on meds. I respect yours and ask the same of you, my friend. :)

No, I do not believe it is columnaris. However, Kanaplex and Furan-2 work best together when tests are not done on the fish to determine proper diagnosis. Attempting to diagnose any other way is dangerous and unfair to the fish and the member.
Okay, let me understand this. So, when you are unsure of a diagnosis you recommend nitrofurazone and kanamycin in combination as a rule. Thats interesting- very unorthodox.
What is it in each drug ( active ingredients alone) and used together (in combination) makes it such a good treatment for all "unknowns." This assumes all issues presented in aquaria are bacterial in nature.
I am aware of aquarium pharmaceuticals website, I refer to it often, but I have not seen Carl make such sweeping claims of this combination of drugs being used as a "go- to" substitute in cases where adequate blood-panel/microscopic tests cannot be administered. Actually, he provides very careful descriptions on medications, symptoms, environmental and nutritional issues to provide aquarists as much information as possible to not jump to one conclusion or remedy.
It appears that you argue that not using this combination for all cases that express an "unknown factor" is dangerous to fish and member. I think the opposite, you should start at the least invasive practice and work up to the most invasive. You concluded very quickly that nitrofurazone and kanamycin were needed in this case. Too soon.
It took time getting all the information that was needed from this member. We cannot make it go faster. We answer and pose questions given the information provided. I do not think anything given up to the point where the member demonstrated that the fish had mouth rot ( just today) warranted nitrofurazone and kanamycin.

Actually, all symptoms presented itself as ammonia toxicity- it still does.

Ok, Lilyann.
@Lilyann, I do not blanket suggest that these meds be used. However, they are the best we have readily available as they treat both fungal and bacterial. I am so glad you are here to lead us in diagnosis and treatment of fish diseases. We have been struggling to do our best with the experience and knowledge that we have on this forum. We need an aquatic vet.

I am no where near an aquatic vet.
But, I can help you with diagnosis. I am sure of it.
Remember, we are only as good as the information that the member provides. But, it is our responsibility if helping with illnesses to look at it in its entirety. It is a complex process that takes elimination: beginning with water quality ( cycling, maintenance, filtration), environmental issues ( fish compatibility, tank conditions aligned with fish- KH/GH and TDS, temperature) and nutrition.
Only then do you go on to possible pathogens/secondary illnesses: parasitic, bacterial, viral. 9 times out of 10 they are the result and not the cause.

I
I am no where near an aquatic vet.
But, I can help you with diagnosis. I am sure of it.
Remember, we are only as good as the information that the member provides. But, it is our responsibility if helping with illnesses to look at it in its entirety. It is a complex process that takes elimination: beginning with water quality ( cycling, maintenance, filtration), environmental issues ( fish compatibility, tank conditions aligned with fish- KH/GH and TDS, temperature) and nutrition.
Only then do you go on to possible pathogens/secondary illnesses: parasitic, bacterial, viral. 9 times out of 10 they are the result and not the cause.
I am well aware of all of this,@Lilyann. I agree 100%. I always look at parameters, is tank cycled, temps, food, anything new added, etc before going on to attempt to help a member. We do our best, that is all we can do. I have years of experience as you do and my bff is an aquatic research analyst which helps me so much. I originally suggested clean water and salt but then after thinking more decided we needed to go with the Kanaplex and Furan. I am puzzled as to why you are questioning this as you too, eventually suggested the Kanaplex.

Last edited:
We all have our opinions on meds. I respect yours and ask the same of you, my friend. :)
I am not for a moment suggesting we should not treat or medicate where required. It was the mental image of a bunch of aquarists running around with black bags to ensure they are prepared for any emergency. Fish aren't that fragile and keeping fish is not that hard. But it does require discipline. I am always amused at fish profiles that read "only suitable for experienced fishkeepers".

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back