What disease is this!?!?! And what should I do!?!?!

If they show no signs then give them some time and see how they do. The tank needs to be disinfected to kill columnaris. I had to remove everything and bleach the entire tank, gravel, decor, filter, etc. itā€™s a lot of work. You can keep the fish in the tank and see what happens or you can get aggressive and put them in a quarantine tank. Then break down the tank and disinfect it. Of course, that means cycling all over again unless you have another tank to get some established filter media from to seed the filter. I left my tank dry and empty for a month before I put anything back in it. Columnaris is horrible. I wouldnā€™t wish it on my worst enemy. If your fish are being eaten away then I have no doubt it is columnaris. One of my fish was fine one night and the next morning half her face was gone and full of columnaris
If they show no signs then give them some time and see how they do. The tank needs to be disinfected to kill columnaris. I had to remove everything and bleach the entire tank, gravel, decor, filter, etc. itā€™s a lot of work. You can keep the fish in the tank and see what happens or you can get aggressive and put them in a quarantine tank. Then break down the tank and disinfect it. Of course, that means cycling all over again unless you have another tank to get some established filter media from to seed the filter. I left my tank dry and empty for a month before I put anything back in it. Columnaris is horrible. I wouldnā€™t wish it on my worst enemy. If your fish are being eaten away then I have no doubt it is columnaris. One of my fish was fine one night and the next morning half her face was gone and full of columnaris fibers. Horrible!
I had to euthanize 3 of my 7 fish because the infection got so bad, the other 4are do so much better

Iā€™m sorry but it was as the best thing to do, IMO. Itā€™s the worst part of fish keeping. I had to euthanize 11 females in one day after Columnaris was eating them alive. It was horrible! I felt like a murderer.

If they show no signs then give them some time and see how they do. The tank needs to be disinfected to kill columnaris. I had to remove everything and bleach the entire tank, gravel, decor, filter, etc. itā€™s a lot of work. You can keep the fish in the tank and see what happens or you can get aggressive and put them in a quarantine tank. Then break down the tank and disinfect it. Of course, that means cycling all over again unless you have another tank to get some established filter media from to seed the filter. I left my tank dry and empty for a month before I put anything back in it. Columnaris is horrible. I wouldnā€™t wish it on my worst enemy. If your fish are being eaten away then I have no doubt it is columnaris. One of my fish was fine one night and the next morning half her face was gone and full of columnaris
If they show no signs then give them some time and see how they do. The tank needs to be disinfected to kill columnaris. I had to remove everything and bleach the entire tank, gravel, decor, filter, etc. itā€™s a lot of work. You can keep the fish in the tank and see what happens or you can get aggressive and put them in a quarantine tank. Then break down the tank and disinfect it. Of course, that means cycling all over again unless you have another tank to get some established filter media from to seed the filter. I left my tank dry and empty for a month before I put anything back in it. Columnaris is horrible. I wouldnā€™t wish it on my worst enemy. If your fish are being eaten away then I have no doubt it is columnaris. One of my fish was fine one night and the next morning half her face was gone and full of columnaris fibers. Horrible!
the other 4 are do so much better, they are still healing, the hole on there head is also healing, it has gotten smaller and smaller every day.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back