What decides an alien betta's coloration?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Python_aquatics

Reaction score
So I've been looking into breeding bettas, and I wondered what decides the color of fry?
I've seen a copper male and a blue female have green fry..
What do you guys think the best combination of parents produces the widest range of color in fry?

I haven't seen many discussions here of Betta splendens colour genetics, and while I've bred Bettas, they haven't been linebred fancies. Hopefully, there is a genetics expert lurking in the weeds, and maybe keeping the thread up at the top of the new topics will help. But don't take it personally if the thread is quiet.

Some new members worry they're being ignored, when in reality, no one reading feels qualified to answer a complex question. Hang in there. Someone here may know!

I don't qualify as "someone who may know". At all...

What I understand is. There are at least 5 main factors that contributes to the coloration of bettas.

Iridocyte Layer
Dominant layer
Co-dominant layer
Recessive layer
Layers modifiers

At first view it doesn't seems to exist any combination that would have a wider range of color output. But the patterns offered by modifiers can produce multiple outcomes in the same color palette.

It seems that the Mendel and Punnett Squares are still used today to try to predict genetic traits for bettas.

Betta Colours.jpg

Most reactions

Back