Reaction score
here is the light specs

Coralife
50/50 Actinic
18"
T8
its just one bulb so far, and we already have GSP, blue mushrooms,and zoas

the tank is 12" deep

what would be some other good corals i can have? any LPS?

my build thread in marine journals if your interested in the scape btw, this is just to expand out to more people to get more advice

I might be wrong but I am unsure how 6k light can be an actinic

6k = yellow
Actinics are generaly 15k +

or is it one of the white/blue tubes a Power Compact

If white and blue it will be 10k + 15k at a guess

under these as long as you are careful with your postioning you should be ok with some of the euphyllias

it looks like a power compact but it only has 1 tube.

and thanks for that as there is a loverly hammer coral going for 25$

ill most likely keep the 20 gallon as a softie tank with that lighting (if it can be suitable for most??)

and then move the hammer over to the 65-100 gallon when its setup with much better lighting.

so what softies can i have with the current lighting?

hmmm well im back to the original question then

what can i keep with this light?

is sun coral a possibility??

Suns don't need light as they don't photosynthesis, they require regular feedings to each and every head.
Go with softies to start as they are the least demanding and work your way up.

Suns don't need light as they don't photosynthesis, they require regular feedings to each and every head.
Go with softies to start as they are the least demanding and work your way up.

im sorry im one of those people that thrive on specifics and die on generalizations :blush: what softies would be good for the tank??? id love a toadstool and trees.

yeah and thats why i put sun coral as an option,i dont mind feeding it as the LFS is like 10 minutes away and they have a bunch right now. thinkits do-able?

so ill leave the LPS and SPS forthe bigger one then :lol: i was just thinking to get my hands wet in the small tank by getting a small hardy frag of LPS and placing wayyyy up top. o well, i guell ill learn fast then :lol:

Kenya tree, toadstools, mushrooms, starpolyps, leathers and others of the same variety :)
Ones to avoid would be gorgonions (probably spelt wrong) and Dendronephthya spp as they filter feed mostly and are very hard to keep.

If you wanna try LPS later start with things like frogspawn and acan's but you will need more light for them.

Kenya tree, toadstools, mushrooms, starpolyps, leathers and others of the same variety :)
Ones to avoid would be gorgonions (probably spelt wrong) and Dendronephthya spp as they filter feed mostly and are very hard to keep.

If you wanna try LPS later start with things like frogspawn and acan's but you will need more light for them.

ok thanks :)

would xenia also be a good one? the one we had before the move was doing good but we got caught up with the move and it eventually died, im thinking of getting another one and maybe get another powerhead for more flow so i have places to put stuff :D

Any low light or coral that doesn't need light, like a sun coral :good:

So, ricordias, zoas, kenya tree, xenia, toadstool, mushies etc

Xenia will do ok in low light, but in my experience it does a lot better in higher lighting.

Xenia will do ok in low light, but in my experience it does a lot better in higher lighting.

yeah my first one did better when it was higher up and it grew, might do the same tbh and just keep an eye on it

what would be the minimum light i need for a SPS and LPS so i make sure my dad gets what he pays for?

TBH
I think you need to consider installing more lighting to open up your options a great deal wider.
Regards
C

TBH
I think you need to consider installing more lighting to open up your options a great deal wider.
Regards
C

if i either had a job or the money to do so beleive me i would :( , my dad doesnt want to spend the money on the twenty but he said hed get better lighting for the bigger one, yet he still wants more coral for the twenty. i wouldnt mind a job but 1. i cant drive 2. i have lots of work (not really i end up finishing the days work but then ive got nothing else to do)

ive picked this method on what i can spend with my 100$ birthday money gift (this is just my parents a get around another 100 from relatives)

Star craft II - i buy coral and plants and FW fish (i picked this one because the game is one of the only way i can talk with a good friend far away)

FW fish tank - SW fish tank (its 100% mine so if i can fund it i can do it, where as the other one is a joint thing and it would lead to disputes)

not to mention that the 20 is more of a softie tank anyway, it would help if there was a lowlight LPS i could get into so i know what im doing when the big tank is set-up and then transfer it over since the lighting would be better for it anyway.

AFAIK the list of things to do in the house:

curtains
TV
Painting
Fish Tank
Basement
Theatre
Pool

and my list:

AP work
Friends
Tennis
Garden
Fishtanks (i have no money to do this with :/ and the garden is funded by the parents)

but again i wouldnt mind if we couldnt keep a small LPS in the 20 temporarily, ill stick with softies for now and then get a small frag for the bigger tank to start with, itd be faster progress if i could but like someone said "you dont always get what you want"

Most reactions

Back