What Colour Substrate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gurglar

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wanna see some opinions on what colour substrate would look best with a black background?

I've just got a black background for the main tank and then some bronze cories and a BN quarantining at the moment and some neons in the main tank and wanna change the substrate before I put the cories in.

So what looks best with a black background?

I was thinking some really fine black gravel but now I aint to sure, the tank will be planted soon aswell so if people can add some pics of fish tanks with black backgrounds and black substrate and then black background and other colour substrate like brownish or white sandy type gravel it would be awsome.

Thanks alot.

black

black substrate, black background, lush green plants. cannot get a better look IMHO! although ironically in this pic the substrate doesn't look as dark as it is in real life.

P1020089-1.jpg

here's one with sand for comparison

16-09-06_1911.jpg

For comparison, this is one using standard tan gravel:
tankbigvn8.jpg

You get a bit less contrast this way. I've actually come to prefer black gravel, but won't be changing this unless I give in to temptation and buy a bigger tank yet.

^^^ thanks for the quick replies. By those 2 pics posted above looks like black on black is the way to go, makes the plants and fish stand out alot more whereas the sand kinda makes your eyes go for the bottom of the tank and nothing really stands out.

Edit: Corleone's pic is kinda in the middle of both worlds looks good but doesn't attract your eyes straight to the ground.

GET BLACK! IT SHOWS OFF THE COLOUR OF THE FISH

I agree. Black is great, but i wouldnt get any of the faked stuff. You can get a natural black gravel which is made up of varying dark shades. This is dark enough for my liking.

But think also about your planting. There is no need for colour specific gravel if you are gonna be growing plants that cover the tank bottom.

I have recently planted "cuba" a low growing plant that my shrimps love. This is hopefully gonna cover much of my foreground.

GET BLACK! IT SHOWS OFF THE COLOUR OF THE FISH

Turn your dam caps lock off I was reading your other thread and everything is in caps annoys the hell outta me.

ps don't mean to be rude.

Black gravel looks good with a heavily planted tank, if its not going to be heavily planted (or you don't want to spend alot on the substrate) go with play sand - I've got it in 3 of my 6 current tanks and I think it looks great, especially if you've got a fair bit of bogwood in there as well.

have to agree black background and black gravel is the best combo ive found
scot :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back