what can i use for a good fast lawn effect

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

maddskillz

Reaction score
what can i use for a good fast lawn effect besides mini sword or micro grass

Depends on your light and nutrients. If you have ideal conditions then Lilaeopsis brasiliensis is attractive, it needs plenty of light and no shade and propagates by sending out side shoots. A less demanding plant is Lilaeopsis mauritiana but you will have to propagate by splitting the rhizome. Blyxa japonica is beautiful but requires lots of light and plenty of nutrients as does Glossostigma elatinoides. Other carpet forming plants include Sagittaria sp. these resemble Echinodorus tennulus and are relatively undemanding.

I assume by mini grass you mean Echinodorus tennulus and micro grass Eleocharis sp., these are probably the least demanding and therefore the easiest to source. I've had success with Eleocharis upto the point where I'm now thinning out and discarding excess plants and replanting the stronger plants with tweezers.

Unfortunately you will to wait for a while (weeks or months) for all these plants to form a good carpet, your other option is to plants loads of single plants near one another but not touching and wait for them to propagate.

Hope this helps.

Simple, Java moss.
Just spread it out on the bottom and sprinkle some gravel on top to keep it in place until it takes hold.

java moss thats what dallasnorthaquarium.com has in one of there displays and i couldnt put my finger on what it was thank you sooo much

what sucked is that the person i asked over there at DNA didnt know whatsit was either. thats one clue no matter how big and fancy the store is they still hire idiots

IME the bigger the store the less the employees know about the fish they sell.
Little mom and pop stores usually are the best for advice, but even then you might need to double check the info they give.

I hear it is difficult to grow, but I love the look of glosso. I would love to use it in a planted tank once I get into keeping live plants.

Most reactions

Back