Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am a Nikon man myself

DSCN0178.jpg

Left: Nikon D200, Nikon MB-D200, Nikon SB800 and Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR
Right: Nikon D50, Nikon SB600, Nikon 17-55mm f2.8

DSC_6707.jpg

Nikon D200 and Nikon S200

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: men and the size of their lenses :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I dunno. I got a £99 Fuji from Currys

I`m a Nikon man myself. What do you reckon to the 70-200mm lens? I was toying with the idea of a 70-300mm but the f2.8 on the 70-200mm could be the clincher for me. It should look nice sat on a brand new D700. :rolleyes: I wonder if the D300 will drop in price very much. From what I can gather, the D700 is essentially the D300 with the FX sensor.

What about macro lenses. I have the 105mm f2.8 which is a nice piece of glass.

Dave.

the 70-200 is just a beautiful lens. If you dont/cant afford to go prime then its definately the lens to choose, i'll upload a pic so you can see the clarity this lens produces.

I would love a D300 but I cant really justify one at the moment, the D200 still has alot of life left in it.

The 105mm macro is also on my want but cant justify list.

I have a Tamron 90mm macro that I hardly ever use, so upgrading to the Nikon 105mm isnt really neccessary.

DSC_2880-01.jpg

DSC_2875-01.jpg

DSC_2867-01.jpg

All taken at 200mm.

I would love to give you a 100% crop of the chain link because you can see the individual links, however I lost all the original pics when my backup HD went down :(

I'm a Pentax shooter. I've got a Pentax K10D (essentially the Pentax answer to Nikon's D200) with the 18-55 kit lens, a 50 mm f/1.4, a 28-80 powerzoom (the zooming function is motor powered :blink: ) and a 28-200 of some generic brand (perhaps Sigma, can't remember), I've also got a Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash gun with a lightsphere for it.

I love Pentax but since I'm getting more and more into wideangle I'm seriously contemplating a Nikon D700 as my 2nd body (Full frame and a 12 mm lens would be incredible). That is, if Pentax doesn't come out with their long rumored medium format digital body and Full frame body this year (the rumor mill still says it's coming before Sept).

SLC

another Nikon man here, albeit I have the D70s, cracking camera....although the only problem owning a camera like this, is upon a wedding, party etc in the family, you are asked to do the photographs. Who else finds that? I end up losing out big time on ink carts and the highest grade photo paper/card.

just done a birthday bash for a family member, took 195 pics, most of which turned out pretty good....then printed off at A5 size...went through 12 ink carts and 4 boxes of HP gloss photo paper.....cannot think about the cost...have to remember, its for a family member..lol

I have photos on flickr.com including some of my fishes.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/relphotography/show/

and whilst I have named the account relphotography, I am not a pro...just wanted a cool..ish name for the account lol

I've got a pentax K100D with kit lense.

SLC what good value macro and zoom lenses can you recommend (that you know are available in UK) as starters?

I don't take enough pictures or have the patience to justify an SLR, so earlier this year I bought a Canon Powershot S5 IS and I love it! It does pretty much everything for me, though it does have some manual settings to mess with. It certainly makes me look like a much better photographer than I am, it's nice to impress my friends without much effort on my part. :lol:

I've got a pentax K100D with kit lense.

SLC what good value macro and zoom lenses can you recommend (that you know are available in UK) as starters?

A former member here (he's not here anymore as far as I know that is) bought the Samsung version of your camera, he also bought the Pentax D-FA 50 m f/2.8 macro and has gotten some incredible results out of it. Here in the states it's about $300, not sure of the price in the UK but I know it's available since the former member is from somewhere near Manchester.

I also recommend Sigma's 50 and 100 mm macro's, and Tamron's 90 mm macro. All 3 should be available in Pentax mount. Macro zooms aren't really true macro lenses, this is because they can't produce a 1:1 image to subject ratio, that's why I always recommend prime macro lenses. Not only that but 50 90 and 100 mm are all ideal focal lengths for portraiture and general street photography in general. And a max aperture of f/2.8 will give you the ability to use the aperture for selective defocus without much trouble at all, as well as perform a touch better in low light than you might be used to with the kit lens.

As far as zooms go, there are so many to choose from that I can't make a good recommendation unless I know what you aim to shoot with the zoom lens. For general things (what you are using the kit lens for now) you can order the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which is relatively affordable and has a constant f/2.8 aperture. For something not as wide but a lot longer, Sigma and Tamron both have a 70-200 f/2.8 lens available for Pentax now. I have my eye on the Pentax 50-135 f/2.8 SDM right now which is ideal for portraiture and general use but it's $$$.

Hope that helps, if you want to PM me with ideas on what you want to shoot more of I can make some specialized suggestions.

SLC

i just bought a fujifilm finepix s1000fd -£149.00,(( currys digital)) im ever so pleased with it, i was quite happy with the one i had till i got this and saw the results, it has a 12x zoom, and i just think its fantastic

ps £10 cheaper in Dixons:lol:- wish i had known that first

only thing that narked me was that there was only enough internal mem for 9 pics, so i had to go back out and get an SD card.but i would have needed one anyway, so no problems, im still practising but ill get there in the end. oh and it has super macro ( which is apparently good for photoing fish?)

a first day play shot
277.jpg

neither of my cameras have any internal memory so atleast you managed to get started! :D

macro is good for fish, but not so neccessary with a 12x zoom!

Most reactions

Back