What background

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TofferMora

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
So the background on the tank I have bought is a bit old and faded, any recommendations of what I should replace it with?
Thanks

I have a plain black plastic poster background from Maidenhead Aquatics.

I paint my back glass on my tanks solid black.

You can use something as simple as poster board, cut to fit, and taped or clipped to the back glass...it comes in many different colors

Ok thanks for the help, so black is the colour to go for?
Totally a personal preference, but it's the color I like on my tanks....some like blue, some like green, etc...

I used to have one with a planted tank pattern but since I've changed to plain black I wouldn't go back.
But choice of background like our choice of fish is a very personal decision. As longs as there is a background to make the fish secure, the colour and what it's made of is up to you. If you don't want to move the tank, painting it isn't really an option. I changed mine with a tankful of water with an extra pair of hands to get it in place and some sellotape to stick it to the tank (top and sides of the poster)

Mine is a planted tank back ground. I swear my Pleco has studied it and he has picked out two small spots on it that he seems to call home and boy does he camouflage into the back ground.

Personal preference I guess but just make sure you do have something I just don't like to see the wall and cables of a non covered glass back they just look unfinished and not loved. :p

Ok thanks, well seen a few online that are blue one side, black the other, so will probably give that a try. Not going to have fish for a while, so not in a particular rush.

I use black poster board on the backs of most of my tanks, very inexpensive, but it will bleed color if it gets wet. This is ok for me because my floors are laminate, and sensitive to water so I make sure I don't spill water on my floors anyways. That said my newest tank doesn't have a backing but is against a medium rust orange wall and it looks good, to me.

Juwel do a few 3d backgrounds. I quite like the STR one. It’s just an understated black colour with a bit of texture to it.

Ok thanks for the help, so black is the colour to go for?
If you don't have any black fish, then a black background will contrast well against most other colours. If you do have black fish, then go for blue or green on the back.

You can use coloured card, plastic sheet or bin liner, paint, or just buy a new aquarium background from online or a pet shop.

The main thing with aquariums is to try and avoid light colours, so no white or yellow backgrounds. Try to avoid light coloured gravel too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back