What are you doing today?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It’s the first sunny day in about 16 days. I am relaxing outside with my puppy. At 5 PM we go to the vet for the puppy’s last vaccinations. She is now almost 16 weeks old.

Today is final prep for tomorrows party.

This a special party and will begin with my brother and his wife redoing their wedding vows. It is their 50th anniversary and although they remain 2 years behind Linda and I they are still to be celebrated. Unfortunately not many of the original party will be here due to death or distance but we will make do and tip a stem in their honor too.

Last day of school today.

IMG_1043.jpg

Went to remove bees, but all were dead. Woman had a pesticide person kill bees in her wall a couple of years ago. Apparently he left poison, probably sevin dust but who knows. Threw away my nuc box with all frames, sheet it was on, bee brush. there were a few living workers in the nuc, beekeeper that met me is putting it in the dumpster at his house, if they aren't contaminated maybe they can find a hive to join. I'm just glad I did not bring bees here tuesday and contaminate my whole apiary.

I have been fighting for MONTHS with insurance to get my heart failure medication covered. Apparently insurance thinks I am too young to need it, and despite multiple doctors telling them I need it, it’s a no-go.

Without insurance it would be $740+ tax per month.

As I am drastically worsening without it, My cardiologist is currently trying to get it imported from a pharmacy in Canada who would be able to get it for me at $60/mo. So far I’ve been approved for the first stage of getting it!

Years ago, along the docks in Belize, I was amazed to see Americans lining up at a local pharmacy that was serving out medications like they were ice cream cones. I spoke to some of the customers, and they were all cruisers who had planned their trips around getting long term supplies of medications. It really is a weird world out there.

Meanwhile, an acquaintance who lives in an out of the way region is having trouble getting her diabetes medication because it's been co-opted to be a vanity weight loss medication, and supplies are low.

Moss grows on the north side of backyard decks, and I am going to spend half my day scraping it off so we can paint. I really like the south side of that deck - not even a spot of the stuff. I took cup #3 of my morning coffees out to the fishroom this morning, and watched my Microctenopoma for a bit. I always find things to fiddle with though. That's half the fun of it. I had to adjust the flow in my new homemade undergravel filters for very shallow tanks.

So, scraping 20 year old paint and ageless moss, then doing an editing job in the afternoon when the rain is supposed to settle in. That's my day.

I found Microctenopoma nanum, and bred them. Then the tank of juveniles got velvet (the curse of African gouramis) and I lost them. Now I'm hanging on, but pessimistic. There have been no more bubble nests.
The ones I was admiring this morning were their relatives, bought M. congicum. That's a beauty. They seem social, too.

I found Microctenopoma nanum, and bred them. Then the tank of juveniles got velvet (the curse of African gouramis) and I lost them. Now I'm hanging on, but pessimistic. There have been no more bubble nests.
The ones I was admiring this morning were their relatives, bought M. congicum. That's a beauty. They seem social, too.
How many adult nanum do you have and are they healthy ?

That sewing machine cabinet is just the kind of really nice old stuff you don’t see so much anymore . A relic from the age of craftsmanship . I like it and wish I had it for my machine but my modern plastic sewing machine would look out of place on it .

How many adult nanum do you have and are they healthy ?
Three healthy ones, 2 wild and one F-1. But they are really hard to trigger again.

There's a nice story with the congicum. When I was getting ready to move here, I lost a male out of my pair. He jumped in the mess that was the fishroom being disassembled, and I couldn't get to him. The female lived on her own for 2 years. Then I was able to get 7 of them from a shipment, and she is now queen of the herd. You should have seen her when she spotted the newly released congicum swimming her way. She danced.
There are two big males, a smaller one and the rest are females, all in a 4 foot tank with no other species. They don't like other fish, but I thought those big boys would fight. They don't. They have their own territories.

M nanum isn't only smaller (half the size), but they have some reddish brown in them, which reminds me of my other Microctenopoma, ansorgii.

This group is cool. Ctenopoma are bigger predators, and we see them sometimes too. I don't have space for fish like that. But these Micro ones, at 8 or 9 cm, are interesting. Not community minded, but interesting.

I plan on watching 33 cars race at 230 plus mph for 200 laps on a 2.5 mile course. Sounds boring but it’s not— it’s the Indy 500 race. Starts around 4:45pm ET. There will be 330,000 spectators there.
——————-

We are now starting our June Tank of the Month contest. If you have a 16 gallon or smaller tank, we hope you enter the contest.
CLICK HERE to visit the entry thread.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back