What are the differences between Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis & Pristella maxillaris

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all... ( Lemon & Pristella Tetras ) in digging around on the www. I'm not seeing much difference between the two... the Pristella's I think are more translucent, less silver, but markings & most of what I can find for habits, size & conditions looks about the same... anyone kept both, & can tell me???

Last edited:
I've never kept pristellas. Lemons are nice fish, but their colors always disappoint me and they never look like I expect them to. If you're after something with similar shape and behavior but more color, look into a big school of rosy (aka whitefin) tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus). They are really friendly, bold fish, always out in the open, and they color up really nicely if you keep them happy. Or look into red phantoms (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi). They are a bit more shy, in my experience, hanging out under the driftwood. But I like a few sneaky fish to add some mystery to my tank, and their colors are truly striking.

I like both of those... the seller I'm putting together an order for, is out of the Rosy's... & while I like the Red Phantoms, they remind me too much of the Glo Tetras I had in that tank, in it's previous form... still have a couple purple & orange ones around here I'm trying to figure out what to do with...

Pristella maxillaris are smaller, livelier and just cooler, IF they aren't ruined by fancy breeding. I love the original fish, but the fancy versions are downgrades.

Lemon tetras are dull, placid, dull and colourless. And dull. Other than that, they're okay.

I've kept dozens of tetra species, and Pristellas are one of my favourites.

I currently keep schools of several tetras, in various tanks. Lemons, black phantom, Colombian, black neons, and Neons. I like them all, each differently.
Although lemon tetras are subtle, and not as flashy of some other tetras, I like them very much in a group in a planted tank. Mines have do well long term, but they are getting old now (over 3 years or so). Here is one. (photo)
In the second photo, one of the displays at the Aquarium within the Cali Zoo (Cali, Colombia), in 2019, featuring a planted tank with various small fish, but particularly heavily stocked with lemon tetras. An awesome display! They have several very nice set ups at that aquarium, which I am sure change somewhat over time.
IMG_0923.jpg

Planted Tank.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back