What are some uncommon and strange fish suitable for a 145 l biotope setup?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So lately I have been planning to give my white tip tetras back to my lfs because they are bullying my other fish although not enough to harm them.

I was thinking of getting some tetras of the species hemmigrammus bleheri mainly because they live in the negro river like all my other fish do in the wild because this is a biotope setup,but also because they look interesting mainly because it looks like they are using facial paint like the amazon rainforest natives.

What are some other uncommonly and odd fish in the aquarium hobby that you can find in the negro river ? I am mainly thinking of smaller sized fish that can still fit in my 145 l setup although they should be peaceful and not dangerous or agressive like angelfish that would rather eat my tetras for lunch and that also includes huge predators like red tail catfish and vampire tetras .

I was thinking about odd fish like the south american puffer fish but the problem is that it needs hard shelled food and it's teeth have to be kept from growing too long just like a rabbit.

Hi :) sounds like an interesting project! Some Apistogrammas have quite nice facial markings which would match your idea for the H.Bleheri. I'm not sure which Apistos come from there but something for you to research :)

I know that Dicrossus maculatus are found in the Rio Negro and are a really nice dwarf and would look great as a group in there - they are a gregarious cichlid so best kept in small groups and your tank would be big enough to do this.

Splash Tetras could be a nice addition and a quick google tells me that spotted headstanders come from the Rio Negro too which would be an interesting oddball in here.

I would stay away from the puffers, they are a great fish but best kept in a tank that is centred around them rather than being added to an other tank.

Wills

Most reactions

Back