What are some fun quirks of your fish?

A couple summers ago I started culturing and feeding wingless fruit flies for my Golden Wonder Killies. One or two always manage to get out of the water and onto the underside of the glass top. A couple of the fish will stand perfectly vertical , tail down and look up at those flies . When they get situated they shoot straight up like rockets and pick off a fly. Expert marksmen.
Oh, you're bringing back memories of the bluegill I had when I was a kid. He wasn't above brute force, but at heart he was a cunning predator...

Someone in my female guppy tank gave birth without me noticing they were pregnant and thus before I could move them to the birthing tank in a timely manner….

And my female guppies are either incredibly intelligent or the dumbest creatures in existence, I’m still deciding.

Because every time I dip the net in the water it’s an absolute swarm of female guppies trying to get into the net. Remember that “just swim down” scene in finding Nemo? 10. 15 female guppies (most not bred because they were born in my tanks thank god) in a relatively small net instantly. And they don’t like getting out. I invert the net. They swim back in. Trying to catch a specific lady (or fry in this case) is next to impossible without grabbing 2 or 3 other ladies with them. I have to wiggle my fingers on the opposite side of the tank so they can nibble that instead as I try to maneuver the net to who I need. And getting the fish in the net is half the battle. Because now you have to lift them up and out without snagging a few stowaways.

Every other tank: they avoid the nets like the plague. They swarm my fingers but the moment the net enters it’s like the jaws theme started playing and my tank looks mysterious empty.

Maybe my ladies get excited about the prospect of traveling. Maybe they think the net will give them food. Maybe they think “the clawwwwwwwww! The claw has chosen! farewell friends!”

I have budding Neymar's and Ronaldo's and maybe one or two Messi's in my aquarium :lol:

Tween turning the lights off and turning them on in the morning, the moss balls have been batted all over the place, they are never in the same place that they were the night before...usually rammed into the access holes in the hides or up into the plants...very skilled fish ;)

World Cup 2022...eat your footballing hearts out, I have fish that can take penalty kicks better than any human :lol:

Might not be funny to everyone, or anyone; but it makes me chuckle.

Mr blurami here either is real friendly and "comes to say hi" on feeding time, or goes mental and zips around the tank and then hides behind the filter or a ball of free floating moss that sits on a corner of the tank.

When I feed him freeze dried tubifex as seen on the picture, he makes this chirping/clicking noise when he takes a bite. Never heard a fish make noises before.

And sometimes after he's done eating he goes around squirting water at surface level, not sure what that is about 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• 20220413_153530.jpg
    20220413_153530.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 20
Everytime i walk by my tank my little danios get so excited when i stick my hand in the tank and they all rush to nibble and swim through my fingers. One of them actually loves being held (underwater of course lol)

Might not be funny to everyone, or anyone; but it makes me chuckle.

Mr blurami here either is real friendly and "comes to say hi" on feeding time, or goes mental and zips around the tank and then hides behind the filter or a ball of free floating moss that sits on a corner of the tank.

When I feed him freeze dried tubifex as seen on the picture, he makes this chirping/clicking noise when he takes a bite. Never heard a fish make noises before.

And sometimes after he's done eating he goes around squirting water at surface level, not sure what that is about 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
My botia loaches--I've had dwarf chain loaches and zebra loaches--talked like crazy at feeding time. They click at each other; my zebras used to sound like a popcorn popper. Took me the longest time to figure out it was them, rather than something wrong with the filter!

Wait fish can talk? Through little squeaks and clicks? 👀👀

Wait fish can talk? Through little squeaks and clicks? 👀👀
Yeah, lots of fish make noises. Catfish and loaches do, grunters/ perch do. Plenty of fish do, but they don't make loud noises, mainly little clicks and croaks.

Most reactions

Back