wet/dry filters

thetim6

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm making a wet dry filter of my own. I don't want to drill the glass for in the intake hosing to the sump, so i'm wondering if i can just put the tube at the top of the water . will it still work right? i'm probably going to be using a rio 2100 series pump, or maybe a 2500, depends on what kind of deal i can get. If the pump is in the sump will the water getting pumped back into the tank create the force to pull the water from the tank once a siphon is started? If i'm confusing anyone, i'm saying will the one pump that is in the sump keep the whole thing moving at equal gph, or will i need to get a seperate pump to run the intake tubes??? anyone who has built a wet/dry filter and could give me some tips i would greatly appreciate it.

Moved to DIY forum, should get more responses here :)

ok. Well, I've decided im going to build, or buy an overflow box. I'm probably going to have a rio 2100 pump, and i think they are rated at 400 gph. I'm sure i could find an overflow box that is also rated at 400 gph, but i was wondering, is there any way to build one yourself, and be fairly accurate on having the gph where you want them? how do you control it?

Tim, I have a commercially available siphon box on my 90gal marine tank. I can flow about 600 GPH through it. The return velocity will more or less regulate itself to the volume being introduced. You may also find the Rio 2100 a little weak when you consider the head loss. What size tank are we talking about?

75 gallon. I was looking at submersibles, and i wasn't tryign to spend the money on the mag something pumps that were around the one hundred dollar range. i could do a non submersible pump and just put it inline with the sump i guess, do you know of any brands, and how much did your box cost?

You should be able to get a Rio 3100 for under 50 bucks. The overflow boxes are a little pricey from what I have researched. I purchased mine in a package deal. I need another one myself, and after price checking, may attempt a DIY version this weekend.

alright, i'll look at the 3100. is there anyway of getting around the overflow box, or is it a must have?

Well i went to the lfs today and got my pump. They wanted fifty dollars for the over flow box so i said i can do without. I hate to complain, but fifty dollars for an acrylic box and a plastic tube with sponge prefilters on it/? thats crazy. The prices in this hobby really have gone up in recent years. Anyway, back to my filter. The hoses i have are not goign to be sufficent, so im going to go get different ones tomorrow, I'll tell you guys how it worked, and if anyone has any questions if they are interested in building one, i'd be glad to help. Oh, and as for the overflow, i've decided that i might eventually invest in one, but as for now, i'll just keep the tubing high up in the tank, that way in case of power outage, i'll have enough sump to handle a couple gallons coming from the siphon.

Tim, the real danger is in losing you siphon and pumping all the water from the sump into your overflowing tank. Then your pump will frazzle once it runs out of water. But I do agree that the plastic boxes are waaay overpriced for what they are.

Yeah, i realized that problem greatlakes. So, im keeping the intake hose up close to the top, that way if the power were to go out or there was pump failure, only about 5 gallons will continue to go out before the siphon is lost. I have sufficient room in the sump to hold the water. I might try and make an overflow box eventually, but my excess money is rather low at the moment. I got everything working tonite, and it's great. But, i ran into another small problem, the siphon is pulling out more water than the pump is putting out! I'm off to the hardware store again to get a ball valve to regulate the siphon a little. I'll try and take a picture of it and post it in a few minutes.

I can see one problem you may have Tim. The Rio pump will allow water to reverse flow in the case of an outage. So you return line will siphon water back to your sump also. I found this out the hard way, and had to position my return closer to the top also.

yeah, i actually had that happen. i was standing right there so no biggie, just pulled it up out of the water. do they make check valves for 3/4 hose?? that would deffinately be something nice to have.

A checkvalve would work, and I am sure you could find one that size. I just make sure my return is high up in the tank.

Most reactions

Back