Went for dinner left with a new pet aha.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sir Appetizer

Appy for short haha

Ive always joked about bringing home one of the live lobsters from the grocery store and keeping it as a pet.
Youve gone and done it haha

Sir Appetizer

Appy for short haha

Ive always joked about bringing home one of the live lobsters from the grocery store and keeping it as a pet.
Youve gone and done it haha
I do the same thing haha

Don't get too carried away just yet, it could still die from the stress it has been put under.

Freshwater crayfish (assuming it's a freshwater species) will eat anything dead or alive and should get some plant matter in their diet. They will take bottom feeding pellets or any sort of fish food that they can grab.

Keep the water clean with a filter and do regular water changes and gravel cleaning.

I had one for a while. He would take tidbits of beef from my fingers. I put him back in the
stream where he was from.

How much did they charge u for the new pet? Did they give you a doggie bag to take it to go?

Last edited:
I find/catch wild crayfish all the time in my creek. They are pretty cool.

I would want to keep them as a pet, but that’s illegal in Kentucky. :/

(Although my neighbors family doesn’t obey that law. They tale/keep as pets: Birds, squirrels, fish, etc.)

It’s actually quite said, because they used to have a betta fish. I repeatedly tried to tell them that the betta fish needed more room than just a mason jar. They just threw out the old, “Well they live in super small spaces in the wild”
(Technically that is true, but only during dry season. During the rainy season, the patrol huge pieces of “territory”)

Anyway, the betta ended up dying due to fin rot, Popeye, and dropsy. It was really sad to watch. I even offered to take the betta from them, so I could care for it properly. They refused, saying their father was a “Betta expert”.

I haven’t really liked that family after that. They repeatedly break the law of “no taking wild animals into your home as your pet”. :(

I wish I knew how to sex them to see if it’s a lady or a man

If you can manage to give us a flipped over picture without offending the little guy too much, it's fairly easy to sex them, especially since that one looks mature. Also looks like Procambarus clarkii - a red swamp crayfish.

Last edited:
If you can manage to give us a flipped over picture without offending the little guy too much, it's fairly easy to sex them, especially since that one looks mature. Also looks like Procambarus clarkii - a red swamp crayfish.
Makes sure not to have them flipped over to long, or they could die. They have an open circulatory system.

(See? School is good for something, I guess... ;))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back