thanks for the comments guys. i'm very happy with the pictures. this is definitely the way to take the pictures. none of the jewels are as colorful in the fishtank as they were in out of the net.
That one pic is a sand darter, not a goby. I am having feeding difficulties with mine. I am curious to know what the red spotted fundulus is though. Anyone have any idea? And next time I will go with you to CB smith, I want to get some black and white gambusia.
Did you keep the darters?
And try to go on MSN messenger today.
sorry bud, busy day, wasn't online all day. i thought the fish might be a darter, certainly not a type i've caught before. in the NANFA forum i was told the difference in coloration for the fundulus was male/female.
the darters, along with most other fish, were released back after taking the pictures.
i only caught one of the black and white gambusia, but there were more...i'm good on weekends, send me a message when you want to go!
I'm very jealous. I feel I am missing out on this living here. I think I can get a net, but, I must ask, what are your strategies? Just stick it in and hope for the best, or by sight, slowly from a different angle...?
why dont you join us then? you can go with us or with the whole club when they do another dipnetting trip.
when i had tried doing dipnetting on my own, i always tried to see the fish, and then quickly get them with the net. this doesnt work. you do what Rex said, find a nice place with vegetation, put the net as far out as you can, put it all the way down and then drag it back towards you. what you
dont see on the surface of the water is what you want, that's where the fish are. then you pick through the contents of the net. it's fun this way, as you never know what you'll find in your net! dont waste your time trying by sight, as the fish are much quicker than we are, and the net creates drag, so it's much slower than the fish, and they always swim out.