We have pearling!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

smithrc

My names Russell.... ....and I'm a
Reaction score
It looks like things are finally fitting into place.

After changing our bulbs 2 weeks ago, we left it at that for the plants to get used to. there has been some better growth of the plants but nothing fantastic.

Yesturday we re-introduced our CO2. and added fertilizer...

and today the plants are actually bubbling O2 :D :D

I am so chuffed!

Its been about 6 months now of trial and error. but finally it looks like the plants are getting what they need.

Now all we have to do is trim the old poo leaves as the news ones get bigger :)

Now for a few pics (please excuse the condition of the plants - its been a testing time :whistle: )

tank.jpg

pearl1.jpg

pearl2.jpg

Its taken a while... And loads of advice from the guys and girls on here.

One point that I can now make...

ALL FLUORESCENT TUBES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL!

we've gone from the standard supplied tubes, to some that would be better for plants (alegidly) and finally to some expensive Dennerle plant tubes.

the CO2 is now actually making a difference because the plants are getting the light they need.

Awesome! You're on the road to an amazing planted tank. Just keep the CO2 ppm up and you'll see huge growth! Not sure if I mentioned before, but root tabs help A LOT! Good luck, your tank is now photo proof that bulb type DOES make a difference. :kewlpics:

konrad05 said:
Awesome! You're on the road to an amazing planted tank. Just keep the CO2 ppm up and you'll see huge growth! Not sure if I mentioned before, but root tabs help A LOT! Good luck, your tank is now photo proof that bulb type DOES make a difference. :kewlpics:
thanks for all your help Konrad ;)

I've taken a few before pics and will keep detail as thing progress too ;)

I had pearling in my plants the first week or so when I first put them in, then once after that and its been about a month to 1.5 months since they have been in there, what should you say I am doing wrong?

Congrats Smithrc !!! I wish there was something like Melafix to heal old leaves rather than wait for new ones to grow :)

And Yeaulman, you can still have good looking planted tanks even if they are not constantly pearling :nod: Also some plants seem to pearl much faster than others. They will also normally pearl after a water change but thats not the real thingy. But if you have enough light and nutrients you should see pearling towards evening.

Any leaves that are in super bad shape you should go ahead and remove now. With the good lighting and co2 addition you should get growth that will fill in soon. How exciting to finally have pearling. I think that it is beautiful! Best wishes to you.

ALASKA

It's always nice to see isn't it. I find Dennerle gear to be very good, but overly expensive. I don't use it anymore, if you are careful with your spectral makeup, you can get just as good results with other manufacturers.

What is false economy is the cheap lamps you see around, often with gaudy packaging and a fancy name dreamed up by the marketting department to make it sound like it is good for plants.

Lateral Line said:
It's always nice to see isn't it. I find Dennerle gear to be very good, but overly expensive. I don't use it anymore, if you are careful with your spectral makeup, you can get just as good results with other manufacturers.

What is false economy is the cheap lamps you see around, often with gaudy packaging and a fancy name dreamed up by the marketting department to make it sound like it is good for plants.
What is false economy is the cheap lamps you see around, often with gaudy packaging and a fancy name dreamed up by the marketting department to make it sound like it is good for plants

Agreed, stay away from those :nod:

yep agreed :D

I decided to just do for the named brand just to get what i wanted then and there... I was fed up with the 'plant' tubes from others that promise myricals :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back