We have fry!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I've been trying hard to get some pictures of my fish but struggling with my only camera on my mobile phone. Noticed my pregnant white molly particularly brave and hungry. Then noticed 5 or 6 fry. She's still clearly pregnant with visible black dots too. I was expecting fry because she has been more reserved in the last 48 hours & have been preparing my 5 year old for the fact they may all get eaten. I don't have a lot of space so not too concerned if they do.

Pictures terrible!!

But... its all rather cute and exciting and I am hoping some of them make it ha ha!! I know this sensation wears off with live bearers

Attachments

• 20210315_175316.jpg
    20210315_175316.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210315_175713.jpg
    20210315_175713.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210315_175717_2.jpg
    20210315_175717_2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 41
Congrats!! It's still exciting!
Some people act all over it, like "livebearers churn out fry, it's boring" but they got just as excited over their first batch of fry as we all did! I cooed and fussed over my first few batches as well!

It does get a bit annoying when you're already swamped with fry and more and more keep appearing, but newborn baby fish are still adorable, and you have every right to be thrilled and share your excitement :D Especially when you have kids. They must be so happy!

I grew up with pets and animal loving parents, who watched a lot of David Attenborough with me, talked me through things, and were honest about losses, like warning me that the pigeon we saved might not make it etc, and I'm really grateful for that down to earth education. Hopefully at least a few baby fry make it, and your kids can understand if a lot don't, in an age appropriate way.

You can increase the fry's chances by adding some dense live plants, especially a mass of plant left to float at the surface like elodea, guppy grass, hornwort etc. The fry naturally tend to head to the surface, and they'll hide from the adults among the plant. The slowest and weakest might get picked off, but that's natural selection ;)

You can also increase their chances by keeping the adults well fed. Well fed adults are much less inclined to hunt down a fast moving fry than a hungry fish is. Just be careful not to over feed either, or the water will pollute much faster. Little and often is better than 2 huge meals. Also think about testing the water more often and stepping up the water changes to two or three times per week rather than once a week, since fry grow better in cleaner water, and they release a hormone that inhibits the growth of other fry. Water changes dilute that hormone out of the water and helps them grow quicker/heathier.

My cories spawned and gave me a big batch of eggs tonight, so it's baby night apparently!

Yes when I realised some were here I gave them their favourite bloodworm as distraction. I have some surface plants but maybe not enough. I know another girl pregnant too so we may have many, many fish soon. My big tank disaster meant my spare tank not ready as i planned so these guys have to take their chances. It is certainly good for the girl to learn :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back