Watts?

Tank = $89.00
4 x 40W via 2 Home Depot setups w/ 6500K Phillips Daymax bulbs = $35.00
DIY Stand and hood = $30.00 in wood, if you go cheap.

I was refering to the lighting only though because their are more optoins. Also, they have 4x55W fixtures on ebay at 4' for less than $100.00. Although they come with 10,000k and Actnic you can always replace the bulbs later when you have more money.

That is the point I was making.

You should be looking for the 2x65W not the 1x65W. On a tank that deep you are going to need more than 2WPG.

So, in essence, I'm pretty much screwed if I get anything lower than 130 watts?

No, their are lots of plants that would do good at 65W you would just not be able to do the medium/medium-high light plants. You would have to stick to low/medium-low plants and you would not be able to do any carpet.

Anubias, crypts, java fern, all mosses, etc... will do good with lower lighting.

I can handle that. Besides, I imagine most of the swords would practically take over my tank lol. Thanks again, all of you.

I'll tell you right now, if you're going to be skimpy about money, you're not going to have a successfully planted tank, simple as that. I'm not saying you should spend as much as you can, it's just that lighting is the backbone to planted tank and you should invest properly.

I'm not looking to have really fancy plants or anything, I hadn't even expected to be able to get the high-light plants anyways, I just wanted some live plants because I hate the plastic and think live are better for the fish and tank overall. I like the look of most of the low light plants too. It's just when everyone started saying I would need such a large amount of watts I thought it meant I wouldn't be able to have any plants at all. I'm quite happy with the plants choices I'll have once I get the light.

Most reactions

Back