Water update and ICH attack - heelp!

Rory the cat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Well the good news is that following my posts at the weekend my water is improving dramatically. I did a 15% r/o water change on Sat, Sun and Mon and tested each night. Last night I had ammonia down to about 0.05m/l, nitrite about 0.05m/l and nitrate about 25m/l (it had been 75m/l).

Thank heavens for that!!!!!! :D

HOWEVER - now Puff has come down with an icky case of ICH. Think I caught it early (I looked one hour and he didn't have any spots, looked an hour later and he had about 4). I have turned the heater up to 26 - 27c (was 25c) and added some medicine as well as a double measure. I know he has had ICH on and off for 4 months (been in quarantine at the LFS all that time) but he had been clear a month. :(

Anyway, the increased heat seems to be making the other fish (particularly the Sciss) go a bit loopy so I have popped in stress coat to calm things.

Anything else I can do? I WAS going to ease up on the water changes until the weekend as I didn't want to stress the fish any more than I had to, but should I continue? Also I had not been vacuuming the gravel as much as I felt I had maybe over cleaned it and taken out some of the 'good' bacteria. However I read with ICH it is impoertant to vacuum the gravel evey other day. Also, should I be feeding more, less, or the same?

Please may I have some advice? :byebye:

Hi Rory,

I don't think a degree or two would unduly worry the fish.

Ich meds generally are very sucessful especially if caught early the slightly higher temp should make them more effective as it speeds up the life cycle. They can only be killed in their free swimming stage....

Finnish the course as directed and feed normally.

Good luck and let us know how they get on :thumbs:

www :)

Most reactions

Back