Water Temperature... Guppies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bradmarsh

Reaction score
What is the "ideal" water temperature for guppies? just got a digital thermometer so would like them to be comfy...

Guppies have a pretty wide span of temperatures they can acclimate to in a tank. I would go with about 74F as it will allow you to do other tropical fish at that temperature too.

i breed guppies. and mine are fine at pretty mcuh any temp. they could be in alot of temps. just let the water temp be whatever it is. don't worry about controlling the temp. good luck with them ^_^

im only gonna have guppies, thats why i was specific. (hope that doesn't sound offensive! not intended, honestly) do you know what that is in Celsius (i'm not used to F!)

thanks theotheragentm!

i don't know if you saw what i had. but if your going to buy like a heater or somethign it will seriously be a waste of money

plus thats room temperature almost, and room temp will be fine. so i suggest not getting any temp control things.

so we've got no heater, any temp, 74F (which i dont know in degrees C :blush: ) ....anymore for anymore

all suggestions welcome... :good:

The local temp here atm is 51°F, i would efinatly keep the heater in your tank! sure you turn your heating off at night right? its freezing i like to keep my tank at about 25-30°C thts about what there saying :)
Hope tht helps
Greg

his tank isn't outside so as long as his house isn't that temp it won't matter and it would be pointless tog et a heater. complete waste of money.

thanks, i've currently got it at 27C just wanted to know if this is ok? from what i've read they can live in water as low as 16C havent heard of anyone keeping them above 30C yet! very flexible little critters!!!

Well, I live in Melbourne Australia, and we have been having the hottest days on record, but the most coldest nights (its really weird weather), so my water temp has been going down to 24 degrees celcius o/n and sometimes hitting 28 degrees during the day.

Its been very difficult for me to regulate with this bizarre weather but everyone seems to be coping fine.

I work with steam and hot water applications for work so translating C to F and vice versa is second nature.

Degrees C * 1.8 + 32 = Degrees F

So to work it backwards, 74 - 32 = 42 / 1.8 = 23.3 Degrees C

I have removed my previous information, as I have found out I was incorect. :blush:
I am very sorry. I would never intentionally tell someone wrong.
I have learned my lesson, and will keep my mouth shut until I know more from now on. :/
Again... Sorry
:sad:

his tank isn't outside so as long as his house isn't that temp it won't matter and it would be pointless tog et a heater. complete waste of money.

His tank isnt outside true but i dont know what themp is here in the middle of the night, its preety cold here ill tell ya!
All in all like ICE said i think its worth the intitail cost of the heater for the well being of the fish. not like its going to cost a arm and a leg anyway.

well i measured the temp for the past 24 hours. lowest was 25.8'C and the highest was 26.7. so what do we think? is that too cold? is that too much fluctuation?

thanks guys and girls

well i measured the temp for the past 24 hours. lowest was 25.8'C and the highest was 26.7. so what do we think? is that too cold? is that too much fluctuation?

thanks guys and girls
a fluctuation in the temperature will do no arm to the fish it is good for them once they are used to it also makes it easier to do water changes straight from the tap as I do between 30 and 50% water changes each week.(always make sure that the tap water is 2 or 3 degrees warmer than the tank water.) I have a fish house with 80 tanks all of livebearers. I space heat the shed and the tank temperature can sometimes fluctuate as much as 6° overnight I have had a fish house and kept and bred livebearers this way for more than 20 years. I really get any problems with the fish.

my fish tanks on the floor of the fish house is 60 f. and top row of tanks are about 74f

I find the best temperature for guppies is between 68 f. and 74f when kept at higher temperatures they don't live as long .

Remember it is what we get our fish used to also remembering when we buy guppies from a pet shop they will be used to being kept at higher temperatures and may not adapt to lower temperatures so well. Once the fish have bred and the young will get used to the water conditions that we keep them in

fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back