Water Quality Help

Flyacl

Reaction score
Hello all, Long time lurker first time poster.

I have been doing a lot of reading about poor water quality due to a recent problem I have been having. I think I am now ready to post my information and solicit any help you all might have.

First, let me tell you what I have then I will describe the problem. We currently have a 55 gallon tank that we have had up and running for over six months now. We had no problems with cycling and for the first few months no problems with the water quality.

In the tank is about 1 inch of small rocks for substrate, a few fake plants, and a couple of misc. decorations. We are also running two air stones that have recently been replaced.

For filtration we have both a bio-wheel that has been in the tank from day one using the regular carbon filled pads. And I have recently added a Fluval 304 canister filter that has three carbon bags and three places filled with BioMax. This is what came with the unit. (long story as to why, really boils down to me liking to buy stuff). The canister filter has only been in the tank for a few days now and plan on keeping them both running unless someone can suggest otherwise.

Now for fish, and this is where I suspect my problem lies. We started with several small fish. Tetras, Bala Sharks, and Tiger Barbs. We then added a small Clown Knife who subsequently ate most of the smaller fish as it grew. Currently we have –

One 10” Clown Knife
Five medium (4”) Oscars
Three medium Bala Sharks (3-4”)
Two large plecos (6-8”)

OK now for my problem. Over the past six weeks or so the water quality has been poor. Very cloudy and A LOT of debris on the bottom of the tank. I have increased my normal maintenance from 20% water changes per week and a monthly vacuum. To having to vacuum almost more then once a week and during that time doing water changes of about 40%. The water chemistry has been fairly consistent and I tested it again today. The results are –

PH – 7.0
Ammonia – 0
Nitrite - .25 ppm
Nitrate – 80-100 ppm (much higher then it has been in the past)

My suspicion is that my fish are simply getting to large for that tank. There by creating the poor water quality. I am hoping the second filter will help otherwise I will be forced to put some fish up for adoption. I have also reduced my feeding some form three small pellet feedings for everyone but the Clown Knife who now eats two live fish a day. We also do not feed any on Sundays.

My question is, can you think of anything I can do differently or add to try and improve the quality of the water, lower the Nitrate, and clear the water to the point I can actually see my fish? Also, being new to the canister filter I would welcome any tips as to the different media that can be used and general care of the unit.

Sorry this post is so long. Thank you all in advance for any advice you might be able to give.

Adam

The high nitrate reading is a definite indicator of overcrowding specially with all the filtration and water changes. IMO you have to find a new home for some of the residents. Odd that the nitrite reading is positive :S . You are doing everythng that i would recommend, water changes and extra filtration. There may be some other explanation for the readings ie. dead fish or fish parts from the clown knife feedings? But from what i have read it looks like moving a few residents should help the situation.

Well, I thought I would get a little better turn out then one. -_- Thank you very much Tstenback for your comments. :thumbs: I think I am going to try and reduce the number of fish and see what happens. :dunno: Thanks again.

Adam

Most reactions

Back