Water level, temperature and movement

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rockfarm

Reaction score
Following on from my post on an ick episode, an observation and a question. I had about 6 survivors in my 100 litre tank. To try and save the others, I had lowered the water level a few cm when I added salt and heat. I'm restoring the tank slowly, but the fish are really active. Is this because of:

1. The temperature makes them more energetic.
2. The strong current from the lower water level combined with the exposed spray is like a hamster wheel.
3. They watched all their friends die and they're just really happy to be alive.

Seriously though - increased metabolism? Do you fill your tank completely? It's noisier this way, but the fish are very entertaining.

warmer water will usually cause fish to move about more, however, if the temperature gets too hot, they slow down and start to die.

increase aeration/ surface turbulence when increasing temperature to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

if there are more currents/ movement in the water, the fish have to swim more to counter the currents. Fish need some exercise but they also need calm areas to rest. Make sure they aren't being swept all around the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back