Water conditioner for small tanks

Everyday use, or are you into calligraphy?
Everyday, and to keep on topic, I use my syringe to level/fill API test tubes and squirt conditioner across the tank surface :)

gouletpens is also a good site

Everyday, and to keep on topic, I use my syringe to level/fill API test tubes and squirt conditioner across the tank surface :)

gouletpens is also a good site
Yep, the syringes work great to precisely fill the API test tubes with tank water, as well

Concerning the "size" of each drop...they are the same for that liquid. The liquid falls at a volume according to gravity's effect on the liquid, not the dropper opening size. So each "drop" of liquid "x" will be roughly the same, unless you change the force of gravity. Not very likely.
In the pendant drop test, a drop of liquid is suspended from the end of a tube or by any surface by surface tension. The force due to surface tension is proportional to the length of the boundary between the liquid and the tube, with the proportionality constant usually denoted {\displaystyle \gamma }
\gamma
.[2] Since the length of this boundary is the circumference of the tube, the force due to surface tension is given by

{\displaystyle \,F_{\gamma }=\pi d\gamma }
\,F_{\gamma }=\pi d\gamma

where d is the tube diameter.

The mass m of the drop hanging from the end of the tube can be found by equating the force due to gravity ({\displaystyle F_{g}=mg}
F_{g}=mg
) with the component of the surface tension in the vertical direction ({\displaystyle F_{\gamma }\sin \alpha }
F_{\gamma }\sin \alpha
) giving the formula

{\displaystyle \,mg=\pi d\gamma \sin \alpha }
\,mg=\pi d\gamma \sin \alpha

where α is the angle of contact with the tube's front surface, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

The limit of this formula, as α goes to 90°, gives the maximum weight of a pendant drop for a liquid with a given surface tension, {\displaystyle \gamma }
\gamma

{\displaystyle \,mg=\pi d\gamma }
\,mg=\pi d\gamma

This relationship is the basis of a convenient method of measuring surface tension, commonly used in the petroleum industry. More sophisticated methods are available to take account of the developing shape of the pendant as the drop grows. These methods are used if the surface tension is unknown.[3][4]

In the pendant drop test, a drop of liquid is suspended from the end of a tube or by any surface by surface tension. The force due to surface tension is proportional to the length of the boundary between the liquid and the tube, with the proportionality constant usually denoted {\displaystyle \gamma }
\gamma
.[2] Since the length of this boundary is the circumference of the tube, the force due to surface tension is given by

{\displaystyle \,F_{\gamma }=\pi d\gamma }
\,F_{\gamma }=\pi d\gamma

where d is the tube diameter.

The mass m of the drop hanging from the end of the tube can be found by equating the force due to gravity ({\displaystyle F_{g}=mg}
F_{g}=mg
) with the component of the surface tension in the vertical direction ({\displaystyle F_{\gamma }\sin \alpha }
F_{\gamma }\sin \alpha
) giving the formula

{\displaystyle \,mg=\pi d\gamma \sin \alpha }
\,mg=\pi d\gamma \sin \alpha

where α is the angle of contact with the tube's front surface, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

The limit of this formula, as α goes to 90°, gives the maximum weight of a pendant drop for a liquid with a given surface tension, {\displaystyle \gamma }
\gamma

{\displaystyle \,mg=\pi d\gamma }
\,mg=\pi d\gamma

This relationship is the basis of a convenient method of measuring surface tension, commonly used in the petroleum industry. More sophisticated methods are available to take account of the developing shape of the pendant as the drop grows. These methods are used if the surface tension is unknown.[3][4]

Now my head hurts...

That's a good solution that works if you have enough space, and the tank is at room temperature. You also have to either cart heavy buckets or set up a pumping system. A lot of us fill by hose and mix the water to the right temperature.

@Wills , the original poster, didn't say if chloramines were the issue, and for some reason a bunch of us assumed it wasn't. That's a good splash (slap) of water in the face there, @Slaphppy7 !
If you have the space ? Here's my 44 gallon container that sits in a 10 X 12 foot room with my seven tanks , my model building station and all my superfluous junk. Anybody can find the room.
I have a heater for it so temperature is taken care of. Now I'm going to really harsh your buzz. Your home hot water heater is a filthy sewer full of germs, mold and crud cooked to a sickening broth. I never put any water in my tanks other than what comes from the cold water tap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Guess it depends on how big that dang drop was :rofl:
Drop size is dependent on aperture size (which are standardized to 0.05ml for products measured in drops). If the aperture is big enough to release a millilitre of fluid, it will not have sufficient surface tension to form a drop, it will just pour.

Last edited:
So if you go to posts 2 and 3. One product uses 1 drop per gallon, which means my 150 gallon tank would need less than 4 mls for a 50% water change. and the other product needs 1 ml per gallon so would need 75mls for the same water change. Be careful that you grab the correct bottle ;)

I have a lot of empty 5ltr water bottles so I have them filled with tapwater and leave them in the back yard in the sun to dechlorinate naturally.

Most reactions

Back