• Thread starter Deleted member 107737
  • Start date

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D

Deleted member 107737

Hi All.

So im all set up now with regards my tank.

150 litre
planted
pressurised co2

Im currently changing 50litres every saturday.

Is that enough?? Would it help my plants to change 2 times a week??

Thanks,

dave

30% weekly is what I do, I know some people do more. Once a week is fine, remembering that a 30% single change is not the same as 3x10% changes.

I do about a 33% daily on my 200L, though I'm going to migrate that to a 50% weekly as I begin fertilizer dosing.

On my 55g tank, I do 50% every 3 days just to keep my water pristine. Usually on Saturday I do a 75% when doing my vacuuming and general maintenance. 

If you are having a planted tank-ferts and injected CO2, then 50% weekly is the minimum.

50% weekly on both of my tanks (30g/20g). Sometimes I do more depending on how thirsty the roses get.
whistling.gif

I do a third to half every two weeks, my tanks are pristine and my plants grow well. Nitrate never gets very high and not had any fish deaths in the nine months or so that has been my routine. With a dog and a baby on the way I still want my tanks to look great but cannot manage to do a weekly change, just wouldn't be possible. Think you have to work out what is good for you.

Asking people to say how much water they change is somewhat pointless without having a way to know what bio and waste load the tanks has. Put one guppy into a 50 gallon tank and changing water monthly would be fine. Put 20 guppies into the tank and that is a different story. Then plant heck out of it and its again a different story.

Each tank has its own chemistry and needs. I was always taught for a high tech planted tank you change 50% twice a week so that your are resetting the nutrient levels that often. i was too lazy.busy so I only did mine weekly. It looked nice but likely would have been even better had I done it twice a week.

But when I say I change 35-50% weekly, that also includes some vacuuming plus a media rinse and floss replacement, not just the new water part.

snazy said:
If you are having a planted tank-ferts and injected CO2, then 50% weekly is the minimum.
Absolutely agree:)

On ALL my tanks I say a good rule of thumb is at least 40% a week, for most tanks this will cause no harm, unless it's a heavily stocked tank. I do 20% water changes/vaccums every wednesday and Sunday. Except when I do get my 55 gallon I'll probably do 50% every other day to keep the water quality up, for the specific needs of the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back